Buyer's Guide: CLS 500 Common Problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
None Yet
Buyer's Guide: CLS 500 Common Problems?

Hi all,

I've got some time on me to find a car that I like and would want to buy, so I've made a list. A lot of cars have been taken off the list. Earlier, I removed the CLS 500, because I read about transmission problems seeming common, but it looks like it could've been an earlier model, so I wanted to ask you guys what common problems occur with a CLS 500, as I'm having problems finding it on the net.

Essentially, I'm looking for CLS 500 constructed 2007 or later. If you were to say 2007 has a serious problem with X, I'd make sure to remove that off my list and start looking from 2008 and up. So, any problems you know of with i.e. transmissions, flat spotting, vibrations, and the various electronic features, I'd really appreciate the answers. I've read of all the above as "problems", but information is hard to find and I'm sure it could've been much earlier models.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2009, 10:11 AM

Never heard of transmission issues with the CLS models. Can you paste the link you are referring to. The only issue known with the CLS500 is the SBC electronic braking system(Just do a search for it in the E-Class W211 forum or this forum). And CLS500 was only for one model year, it is now the CLS550. The CLS550 does not have SBC system, and I have not heard of any common well known problems with those.

Originally Posted by sebaot
Hi all,

I've got some time on me to find a car that I like and would want to buy, so I've made a list. A lot of cars have been taken off the list. Earlier, I removed the CLS 500, because I read about transmission problems seeming common, but it looks like it could've been an earlier model, so I wanted to ask you guys what common problems occur with a CLS 500, as I'm having problems finding it on the net.

Essentially, I'm looking for CLS 500 constructed 2007 or later. If you were to say 2007 has a serious problem with X, I'd make sure to remove that off my list and start looking from 2008 and up. So, any problems you know of with i.e. transmissions, flat spotting, vibrations, and the various electronic features, I'd really appreciate the answers. I've read of all the above as "problems", but information is hard to find and I'm sure it could've been much earlier models.

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:47 PM

2006 CLS500, 21" Interad Turismo Wheels, Renntech Lowering Module
2006 CLS with 87,000kms on it and it drives it's brand new. No squeeks, rattles, NOTHING!! The car is a dream.

Bottom line is every manufacturer/model, good or bad is going to have it's quirks at one point or another. If your that worried about it, just make sure the car has factory warranty.