CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Is that leather?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS550
Is that leather?

Is the dash on the CLS leather? It's got stitching, but it doesn't feel as soft as leather. Is it plastic stitched to make it look like leather?
Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 PM

CLS500
mine is leather ..
Old 02-13-2010, 07:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
Doubtful the dash is leather. Although it sure looks and feels like it. I use Meguiar's Gold Class Rich Leather Cleaner/Conditioner on it and that really makes it look and feel like leather. (Application tip: Apply the Leather Cleaner/Conditioner to a microfiber towel or other applicator and then wipe across the dash. This avoids overspray onto the windshield that would occur if you sprayed directly onto the dash.)

But here's my reasoning as to why the dash isn't leather. First, when you go the Mercedes web site for the CLS550 and go to the Explore, Interior section and click on the Design box...you find this description for Luxurious interior:
In the cabin of the CLS-Class, you'll find a veritable wealth of luxuries, starting with the finest leathers -- hand-fitted on individual seating for four, with piping and seams that create a bespoke custom appearance. Then your eye will be drawn to the generous portions of gleaming, high-gloss Laurel wood trim that continues from the dashboard and center console to the center storage compartments in the rear seating area. In fact, everywhere you look, you'll see signs of the CLS550 Coupe's unrivalled refinement.
Notice they only mention the leather on the seating surfaces. I can't imagine that if anything else was leather they would miss the opportunity to brag about it. The "Premium Leather Steering Wheel" is described in the Luxury Amenities section and more about the "Leather upholstery" is described in the Seating & Storage section.

Then in the Specs section under Comfort and Convenience Features, Seating and Trim: it describes "Leather Upholstery on all seat surfaces" and "Leather-trimmed steering wheel and shift knob."

Finally, in the Vehicle Care section of the Owners Manual there are instructions to use Mercedes-Benz approved Leather Care for the "Steering wheel and gear selector lever" and in another citation for "Leather upholstery." If anything else was made of leather I believe they would have described it and advised using the MB Leather Care.

So I conclude that the only items made of leather in the CLS are the seat surfaces, steering wheel and shift knob.

Last edited by Art-by-Art; 02-13-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:27 PM

2009 CLS550
Originally Posted by Art-by-Art
So I conclude that the only items made of leather in the CLS are the seat surfaces, steering wheel and shift knob.
Just going by touch, I'd say I agree. Those are the only areas the material seems to be soft as leather...