CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

CLS window tint questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS550
CLS window tint questions

I posted a similar thread in the "general" section with not much feedback, so I figured I'd try here. Anyway, I have an 07 CLS 550 and want to get my windows done. Being rather ****, I want it done perfectly by someone that has experience with CLSs. I've done a fair bit of internet research (with less than desirable results) trying to find a shop in Northern VA.

The questions...
1) Can anyone recommend a shop in Northern VA?
2) Is felt "moleskin" imperative to prevent tint scratches?
3) Any special issues with tinting a CLS, that once I find a shop I should ask about or look out for?

I never imagined that it would be this difficult to find an experienced tint shop, or at least one that doesn't specialize in rice rockets with coffee can mufflers and two foot high wings!

Thanks for any help you may offer.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
I live in southern California and a local tint shop (The Tint Pros) installed tint material from FORMULAONE High Performance Auto Tint on my CLS550 and SLK350. They offer several qualities. I used the Pinnacle series (their best grade) using dark in the rear window and medium in the sides. On my wife's SLK I even put clear on the windshield for UV protection. Cost was $650 plus tax in 2007. I think this is a high quality product and would only be offered by quality installers. It offers a lifetime warranty. You can find local installers on their web site. I saw they have several in the DC area. I've had mine for three years now with no problems.
http://www.formulaone.com/en/OurProducts.aspx

A couple of tips. Be sure the tint you get offers UV protection, resists color change, allows cell phone signals to pass and is clear for polorized sunglasses. Some tints give a rainbow effect with polarized sunglasses. My installer recommended and I agreed to modify (or replace I forget which) the rubber moldings on the doors that contact the windows when they go up and down. He applied some kind of soft cover to prevent scratching the tinting. This was $100 adder (included in my above price quote). And be sure to use a tint safe (non-ammonia) window cleaner on the tinting.

Last edited by Art-by-Art; 03-13-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 PM

2007 CLS550
Art,

Thanks for the replies - I went to the Formula One website and found a local shop. They claimed to have done "many" CLSs without the felt, with no complaints of scratches. I may drop by their shop and see some of their work and discuss their experience with MBs in person. I just haven't found a place that seems to have much experience with MBs... Maybe I'm being too picky!?!?

Wish we could just get this done at the dealership. I'd be willing to pay their premium to ensure it was done right.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:51 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
One other item you might consider -- some states disallow heavy tints and depending on the restrictions in your state and nearby states where you may sell the car, you might not want to apply the maximum possible tint.

I bought a Colorado car with tint and it had to be removed and replaced before I could register it in Utah. (It is a safety issue so police can see the occupants of the vehicle as they approach it.)
Old 03-25-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
Here's another little tip I just remembered.

When the rear window is tinted, there is an issue with the automatic day/night sensor on the rear view mirror. The mirror will continue to go to night (dark) mode at night. You end up with a double dose of dark with the tint and mirror both adding darkness. It makes it so dark that all you see in the mirror are the headlights and even those are dim. I prevented the mirror from going into night mode by putting a small (1/4" square) piece of electrical tape over the day/night sensor. Now the view in the mirror is comparable to when there was no tinting and the mirror was in night mode. Test it out for yourself. Just hold your finger over the sensor at night and you will instantly see what I mean. The sensor is the small (~1/4") black oval on the mirror located along the top edge in the horizontal center.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:43 AM

2007 CLS550
Just got the windows done this past weekend. I went with 35% all around. Price was $420 for Llumar ATX film, and installation of moleskin on all 4 doors ($25/door).

Had to take it back, as the door panels were improperly reinstalled. Shop owner immediately took responsibility and had them removed and reinstalled. Other than that I feel it came out very good.

Thus far I haven't noticed any issues with the rear view misreading the light level, but thanks for the tip regarding the sensor. I haven't had any problems seeing out, even at night, but at night they do look rather dark from the outside. I assume the factory tint has lowered the overall light transmittance percentage a bit. I'm happy - I think tastefully tinted windows really compliment the overall flow of the car.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:16 PM

cls 550
Are you the Gordon H I met at the 87 BMWCCA Okfeast in CO. You had an 325ix

Old BMWCCA member. just got a CLS 550