CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 243 Likes on 155 Posts
'19 CLS53, '19 SL550, '22 GLE53
OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?

So is it OK to jack or support the car using the rubber block on the center of the front cross member under the engine? (I assume this is the purpose of this rubber block.)
Old 03-29-2010, 01:37 PM

I asked the same question about my GLK350 and here is a possible answer if the CLS is designed like a GLK -- cyberglk350 posted the following on the MBWorld GLK forum:

Page 51 of the (GLK) Service Introduction Manual shows that you CAN lift the vehicle at this point. BUT YOU MUST SUPPORT THE CAR IN THE PROPER LOCATIONS WITH JACK STANDS BEFORE WORKING UNDERNEATH. SO FOR LIFTING ONLY!

(GLK) Manual can be found here ....

http://www.mediafire.com/?dndn24zz3dz
Old 04-01-2010, 01:06 PM

Done Did It -- But Not Recommended

Well, I did it on my CLS550 (photos attached.) But after doing this, I don't recommend doing this, not because of any structural concerns, but because it is not stable.

I wanted to take all 4 wheels and my spare to the tire shop for new tires. So using my floor jack at the normal front jack points behind the front wheels, I was able to raise the rear (one side at a time) high enough to put jack stands at the normal rear jacking points. Then I placed a single jack stand under the rubber pad on the front Xmember and lowered the vehicle on to it. I removed the wheels and took these photos, but because I did not consider the vehicle to be stable, I then put the floor jack and the OEM jack under the vehicle before leaving it.

So I do not recommend doing this, but in an emergency or in a similar situation, I would consider jacking the vehicle using the Xmember pad and then supporting the vehicle with jack stands under the normal jacking points.

BTW -- I modified some jack stands (the ones used at the rear of the vehicle) by removing the top "Y" portion of the center ratcheted support piece. This way, the jack stand fits into the cavity/pocket in the body where the jack normally fits. I have also fabricated a piece for my floor jack that fits into these cavities.
Attached Thumbnails OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?-xmembersupport2.jpg   OK to Jack or Support on the Front Xmember?-xmembersupport4.jpg