CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Brake pad change on the CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS550, 2001 C240
Brake pad change on the CLS

I just finished the brake pas change, first time. Oh boy, I am not sure if this is the best way to do it but I followed the book.
You need to first deactivate the SBC otherwise the pistons can catch your finger (and it will). There is a clear sequence on how to deactivate (by turning off all electrics, lock, unlock the car in a specific sequence and timing). Car then must be kept locked, no door open nothing (hide the key). Then you can change the pads, and this is very simple since you don't have to remove the caliper. When you done you have to reactivate the SBC and this is where it gets complicated. Normally you deactivate with STAR but not having one you have to follow the manual procedure. This requires you to jack the car up on all wheels. You had to keep the driver's window low; with the car up from the ground, you have to turn on the ignition, turn off and within 5 seconds turn it on again, and let it on. then you have to spin the left rear wheel steady about 2 times (and to do that when engine is off, you need the back to be lifted from the ground!), then within 60 seconds spin the front wheel about two times; it will lock itself at the end then the rear turning signal blinks several time showing the sequence is starting. In about 50 seconds the SBC pushes the brake pads few times and reactivate.
After that you can lower the car and switch off ignition.
If you don't follow you will get some computer errors. I assume the brakes will work on but you may have to go to service and delete the errors with the STAR.
If there is interest I can post the exact procedure...
Easy, but the trouble is to raise the entire car so you can spin the wheels without being allowed to open a door and put the car in neutral...
Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow seems like a lot of steps. I also want to do my brake pads and would appreciate if you wouldn't mind posting all steps.

Thanks
Old 03-30-2010, 04:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 CLS550, 2001 C240
I'll scan the procedure. If you read carefully and if you lift the entire car you should be done in one hour...
It would be interesting to see if just by disconnecting the electrical plugs from the SBC (I saw 3 of them) would be easier. I id not try to do it this way not to end up with an error on the computer.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS
Great write up.

Congrats on your success! I swear though, these frikin Mercedes are way over engineered. All of those steps just to replace the pads without paying the dealer to do it. It's apparent that's all Mercedes is really attempting to do by creating all of those steps!
Old 03-31-2010, 03:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
i thought the 07+ CLS/E/SL don't have SBC anymore? or something like the SL amgs still do, idk though