CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Dealer replaced rear Rotors & Pads - Breaks still squeak!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 S550
Angry Dealer replaced rear Rotors & Pads - Breaks still squeak!!!

I recently leased a 2010 CLS550 Executive Demo two weeks ago that had approximately 6K miles on it. So I noticed (or heard for that matter) a squeaking/squeeling coming from my rear passenger-side tire when initially depressing the brake. The sound did not last through the entire depression of the brake, but upon the initial depression of the brake. After taking it to the dealer, they indicated it was probably the result of the car sitting around and not being driven, so I needed to "de-glaze" the brakes by driving 60+ and slamming the brakes hard. After indicating to the dealer that I didn't think this was the case as my brakes started off quiet upon first driving and would gradually get louder once the brakes warmed-up in stop and go traffic, they told me to "keep an eye on it" as they could not replicate the sound. After giving myself whip lash on the highway while trying to de-glaze the brakes and after still hearing the noise in stop and go traffic, I scheduled a second appointment in which the dealership said they would replace the rotors and pads on my back breaks. After getting this procedure done, the noise is still there and it is driving me crazy. It is quite embarrassing to have such an expensive car and have the brakes squeaking all the time. I now feel like I should have stuck with my 7-Series BMW (lesson perhaps learned as that car would sit for over 7 days at a time and the breaks never glazed), but I have also liked the CLS and decided to give Mercedes a try.

Any idea what this noise could be even after replacing the brakes & rotors??? I feel like the dealership is going to give me the old "there is nothing else we can do" routine.

Last edited by 417win; 09-05-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by 417win
I recently leased a 2010 CLS550 Executive Demo two weeks ago that had approximately 6K miles on it. So I noticed (or heard for that matter) a squeaking/squeeling coming from my rear passenger-side tire when initially depressing the brake. The sound did not last through the entire depression of the brake, but upon the initial depression of the brake. After taking it to the dealer, they indicated it was probably the result of the car sitting around and not being driven, so I needed to "de-glaze" the brakes by driving 60+ and slamming the brakes hard. After indicating to the dealer that I didn't think this was the case as my brakes started off quiet upon first driving and would gradually get louder once the brakes warmed-up in stop and go traffic, they told me to "keep an eye on it" as they could not replicate the sound. After giving myself whip lash on the highway while trying to de-glaze the brakes and after still hearing the noise in stop and go traffic, I scheduled a second appointment in which the dealership said they would replace the rotors and pads on my back breaks. After getting this procedure done, the noise is still there and it is driving me crazy. It is quite embarrassing to have such an expensive car and have the brakes squeaking all the time. I now feel like I should have stuck with my 7-Series BMW (lesson perhaps learned as that car would sit for over 7 days at a time and the breaks never glazed), but I have also liked the CLS and decided to give Mercedes a try.

Any idea what this noise could be even after replacing the brakes & rotors??? I feel like the dealership is going to give me the old "there is nothing else we can do" routine.
i really don't think it has anything to do with the rotor. However, you are not the only one with this problem, and most likely is because the MB brake pads...

is it really loud?
Old 09-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 S550
Once the car is warmed up from some stop & go traffic, it's more like a whistle than a squeak. It definitely catches the attention of pedestrians on the street if I am stopping at a light or a stop sign. Frankly, it is quite embarrassing for a car of this supposed caliber to be squeaking.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 AM

CLS55
Originally Posted by 417win
Once the car is warmed up from some stop & go traffic, it's more like a whistle than a squeak. It definitely catches the attention of pedestrians on the street if I am stopping at a light or a stop sign. Frankly, it is quite embarrassing for a car of this supposed caliber to be squeaking.
i totally understand, and i bet there are alot more people that would agree with you ...however, i would say maybe 8 out of 10 have this problem and i think most of them just replace it with aftermarket brake pads...

i really hope this forum can be more helpful or at least CLS section...i bet people either don't care or just don't have the answer...
Old 09-07-2010, 07:41 PM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
At least the dealer replaced your brake parts - a lot of us were not so lucky when we brought our complaints to the dealer. My first CLS had the issue within 2 yrs, and the dealer applied paste to the brakes. The squeal returned within a month, and I decided to live with it. Thinking the brake noise was inherit with the SBC brake system of my '06 CLS, I foolishly leased an 09 nearly 2 yrs ago - within the first month, brake squeal. Dealer acknowledged the noise, but said the brakes were operating properly and did not offer anything more. If you do a search on brake squeal on this website, you will see the problem exists across model lines. Like you, I never had the issue with my BMW's. There will not be a third MB in my garage...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 AM

'08 AMG S63
Do not replace your pads w/ aftermarket pads, you are just going to make it worse. I've been down this road (stock rotors @ 9k miles, put on EBC 'red stuff' pads) and after another 1200 miles, it was like a dump truck stopping. I was warned, I did not listen. It was completely rediculous, there is a known issue and MB knows about it, problem is that the bulletin is not that well advertised because of the 10K or 1 year "make it right" process, if they followed that, every dealer would be out of $1500-$2500 forking over for labor, pads and rotors, for every customer that came in there with complaints. I ended up having to replace my rotors @ 11K mi and also put back OEM revised pads at dealer's exepnse after many many many many hours of going back and fourth.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by commops7
10K or 1 year "make it right" process
Actually it is 12K/1 year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
10SW.pdf (17.1 KB, 225 views)