CLS 550 winter driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW X5, BMW X3
CLS 550 winter driving

Gentlemen
I'm thinking of buying a 2008 CLS550 with around 30K on it and would really appreciate your input on winter driving experience . I live in Minnesota and obviously going to get a Blizzak tires for this car, but still not sure how it will behave on a winter/snow road.
Is ground clearance high enough? Skid control adequate? Do I need to fear spin offs or being stuck in snow often ?
Also, reliability wise , if serviced and take care of, what problems are most common and what should I look for?

Any kind of input will be highly appreciated.

Just for the reference, at the moment I'm driving BMW X5, but was very dissapointed with a "new and imprived" X5 , plus I'd like to move back to sporty sedans from the SUV .

Regards
Anton
Old 12-20-2010, 09:16 AM

I'm running blizzaks..and live in kansas..our winters aren't as harsh but we get the heavy snow as well. It worked perfect in snow/slush. I was driving in 6 inches of snow without any problems.

Originally Posted by Yogik
Gentlemen
I'm thinking of buying a 2008 CLS550 with around 30K on it and would really appreciate your input on winter driving experience . I live in Minnesota and obviously going to get a Blizzak tires for this car, but still not sure how it will behave on a winter/snow road.
Is ground clearance high enough? Skid control adequate? Do I need to fear spin offs or being stuck in snow often ?
Also, reliability wise , if serviced and take care of, what problems are most common and what should I look for?

Any kind of input will be highly appreciated.

Just for the reference, at the moment I'm driving BMW X5, but was very dissapointed with a "new and imprived" X5 , plus I'd like to move back to sporty sedans from the SUV .

Regards
Anton
Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
Im in toronto canada.......n running Verdestien Winter track extreme.......n this thing carves the roads......Good tires no prob......i have blizzacks on my accord they slip sometimes in 3 plus inches of snow...so i didnt wanna experiment with Blizzacks on here..
Old 12-23-2010, 01:39 PM

CLS500 & C230 Kompressor
As a relative new owner of my CLS500, I am coming into my first winter here in Oklahoma City. We really done get much snow in the winter, but we will routinely have bad ice storms, and when that happens the city pretty much shuts down. Should have no problem navigating through a couple inches of snow.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:29 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by erifly
I'm running blizzaks..and live in kansas..our winters aren't as harsh but we get the heavy snow as well. It worked perfect in snow/slush. I was driving in 6 inches of snow without any problems.
+1. Snow every now and then, probably 10"/month on average winter months from Nov-March, I have blizzaks on a second set of wheels, and never had any problems with snow under 6". More than that, I wouldn't even drive it.
The problem is, the snow here melts quickly and the temperature varies greatly during winter months, so I have to change them back and forth all the time since it's not recommended to use snow tires above 50 F.