CLS 500, 55AMG Pre-purchase questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari, Lexus, Hummer
CLS 500, 55AMG Pre-purchase questions

Hi Guys!
I did a little searching and could not find exactly what I was looking for; Please forgive me if this is a repetitive question.
I am seriously considering either a CLS 500 or a CLS 55 AMG, I was curious about the running expenses? Also, are there any common issues I should be aware of? This car would be a daily driver to include snow and rain. How do you feel it would perform? I would mount 4 Blizak snow tires over the winter; I am guessing it should be fine then, right? Also, how well can 4 or 5 people fit into this car?
Thanks!
Bob
Old 01-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
w205 C63s, w212 E63,w219CLS500-SOLD! w211 E63, 2006 E60 M5 (KABOOM!)
The first and easiest of your questions to answer is about seating. You cannot seat 5 passengers in either vehicle. There are only 4 seats. (the rear is not a bench) The 55 AMG is a rocketship and I would caution driving it in the snow. As for common issues, most are relatively benign. For example, the 500 is known for having leaky valve cover gaskets.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
The CLS63 is my winter vehicle and it handles just fine in the snow with snow tires on. Maintenance will be slightly more on an AMG and you'll certainly go through more fuel and tires.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferrari, Lexus, Hummer
Thanks Guys!
I am a bit of a car nut and don’t mind reasonable problems and repairs. I do try and avoid vehicles with many serious and consistent problems.

The worst car years ago was a BMW 850, I was more afraid of that car than my Ferrari! I doubt I will ever buy another BMW, OK cars but there is better out there.
I am used to powerful cars and these sound tame enough to handle winter driving with good snow tires.
These do appear to be unique and beautiful cars, they will probably set a trend with other manufacturers such as Audi and others to come!
Thanks!
Bob