CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

How to remove shifter surround ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 CLS550 w/AMG
How to remove shifter surround ?

I have a 2009 CLS550, and the finish has cracked on the bezel that surrounds the shifter. I want to remove it and have it refinished, but do not seem to be able to get it to budge when trying to slide it around with the ashtray out. Anyone know how to get these out ?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails How to remove shifter surround ?-photo.jpg   How to remove shifter surround ?-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 04-23-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cls55
Put the gear lever into N, pull the gear surround up, you may have to squeeze it in at the sides to help. Once this is up, lift up the bottom panel on the front closest to the ash tray. it may require lots of force, if you look under that panel from where you removed the surround, you should see the plastic tabs that need to release for the surround to come off.

Once its released, pull forward towards the stereo and upwards
Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 PM

2009 CLS550 w/AMG
Thanks teamspb, I will give it a shot tonight. I know it must have had a coke spilled in there at one time that is probably complicating things. Might pour some warm soapy water around it to loosen it up before I try again.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cls55
Originally Posted by milty64
Thanks teamspb, I will give it a shot tonight. I know it must have had a coke spilled in there at one time that is probably complicating things. Might pour some warm soapy water around it to loosen it up before I try again.

Thanks!
Yeah just be careful not to wet the air-ride/parking sensor controls too much lol they can go faulty from what I have read
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 AM

CLS 55 AMG
Once you get the gear surround off you can see the two tabs that hold it down at the front of the hole. Poke them in with a screwdriver or similar while pulling up and it will come up easily.

If it was anything like mine and many others you can haul on it all you like and it won't shift until you pop those tabs.