CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Upgrades?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no mb
Upgrades?

Looking at the CLS, and it seems most cars come up with the short end of the stick as far as technology.

First, I think it uses alot of gas (pollution). Does anyone know of any CLS350's available in the US?

I've looked around and cannot find any actual description of the keyless go technology. Is it RFID? IOW is the car always bathing you in microwaves? Or is it something else?

Is it possible to add keyless go if the car didn't come with it? I suspect it's pre-wired, and I am an electrical engineer. What's involved; what parts are needed/where do they go, and is a software upgrade needed?

Is it possible to add bluetooth if the car didn't come with it? Same other questions as keyless go.

Same questions for radar cruise control, rear camera, and infrared night vision.

Only other thing I wish it had is AWD, but that is impractical.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
05 CL65 AMG, 07 Ferrari F430, 03 Range Rover HSE
Never heard of a 350 in the US, but possible. However, a 3.5 liter may actually work harder than a 5 liter and actually use more gas. The car is fairly heavy. You can certainly drive a 500 and use less gas than a 350.
Keyless go can be added but a HUGE and COSTLY endeavor. Several antenna and computer in the car to make it work.
Bluetooth can be added to any non-equipped MB via the iTronic BT system on our site.
We add night vision and rear camera all the time... Easy.
Radar cruise can be done, but also not easy. However easier than keyless go.

Last edited by Cartronics; 06-06-2011 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:54 AM

no mb
Anyone have any specifics on my questions?
Old 06-06-2011, 09:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

What specifics are you looking for? We have all the technical details on each thing you asked, but can't really post a 'how-to' guide here as it would be ridiculously long.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 AM

no mb
'I've looked around and cannot find any actual description of the keyless go technology. Is it RFID? IOW is the car always bathing you in microwaves? Or is it something else?'
For keyless go, bluetooth, radar cruise control, rear camera, and infrared night vision:
What's involved; what parts are needed/where do they go, and is a software upgrade needed?
Old 06-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

The keyless is similar to RFID (but not). The car has 3 -5 antenna in various locations in the car, as well as up to 2 SAM modules that drive the antenna. They are integrated into some of the other antenna systems in the car when built at the factory. (SIDE NOTE: if you have the Teleaid service, and loose a key in the car, they can tell you where in the car it is (example: under passenger front seat) - I have actually done it. Black key, black interior and just could not see it). This allows you to approach the car from the trunk or either front door to have it detect a key, as well as anywhere in the interior. The car also has a different shift knob and cabling to it as well. Lots of rewire and module changes to add keyless go, as well as a ton of programming to make it all work. Doable, but not really cost effective after the fact.
Radar cruise, I have adapted in my own car. It was the only feature it did not have, so I added it (even though I really don't use it...stupid, I know). That requires the radar unit, bracket, new harness in engine compartment, new cruise computer, new interior trim with adaptive cruise control in it, and new front grill. It also requires a good bit of programming to get it all active too.
Bluetooth is easy. If the car has UHI, just snap on a Viseeo. If it does not have UHI, just plug in a iTronic BT (how-to videos on our site).
Night vision and rear camera are just wire the cameras, run, the cables to the head unit and install our VIM unit. Pretty easy stuff for a shade tree mechanic.
No software or anything needs to be done for the cameras, bluetooth very very rarely needs a quick software change.

As far as part numbers needed for KG or RADAR Cruise, it is a very long list, and depends on the VIN of the car. It would take you or paying a researcher for a few hours of work to pull it all together. The cameras and bluetooth stuff is available on our website, no research needed, as these are commonly added parts.
The following users liked this post:
Kruzz$ (12-24-2022)
Old 06-07-2011, 06:31 PM

no mb
But, any idea on the specifics of how it works? Does it bathe us in microwaves? How else would it detect proximity? Does it use an improved version of grocery store door-opener radar, or something more like bluetooth spread-spectrum?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It is very similar to RFID. It is proprietary, but very close to the same tech as RFID. It is much more directional than RFID.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:42 AM

no mb
Anyone know what that little 'shark fin' is on the roof of so many of these? Is it really necessary? Looks sort of tacked-on.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:14 AM

no mb
OK, so that's a Mystery To Science.

I am trying to get the part numbers for the parts necessary to install Keyless Go. Went to the dealer and they are baffled. Gave me the 'MB national parts phone#', but it turned out to be customer support who didn't know anything. There has -got- to be a technical assistance center somewhere in the US? Or is this nation breaking down?

If no one knows, is there another forum where I can ask these questions?
Old 06-10-2011, 01:10 PM

CLS/cayenne S/M3 convert
not worht the time or money

if your car came without keyless go it better you live with but for you to install is a waste of time & money better spending the time and money on other mods, maybe the new touch screen nav for our model, body/wheels upgrade IMO.

keyless go you will need New shift knob, 4 door handles, new keys, about 8 antenna reprograming, fiber optic wiring, ect..... so im not here to turn you away from your project but it not that big of deal take from some1 who has keyless go. And if your car didnt come with it then you should upgrade to xenon light or heat/cool seat which is include with keyless go package from what i remember 6yr ago when i order mines

Last edited by miraclewhip_cls; 06-10-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:43 AM

2003 s500
Can you tell
Me how to re program my keyless go card in my 2003 s500? Your help would be greatly appreciated.