Wheel +1
Driver Assistance with Distronic pkg
Parktronic with park assist
Premium Leather
Driver Multi Contour Seat
Rear Side Air Bags
Heated Rear Seats
Rear Trunk Spoiler

Initial Impressions: (Keep in mind I still have a 2009 CLS550 currently to compare to)

Appearance:
Car looks a lot better in Person & from certain angles in my garage is not that drastically different from the old model. As far as MB redesigns go, this is definitely evolutionary. IMHO it does not make the old car as dated as I thought it might have. Also, the various character lines that have been criticized on the car are not distracting at least in black. The LED headlights are stunning. They light up as the "C" shape in both main assemblies and the lower driving lamps during the day. Quite dramatic. Makes the car look thoroughly modern yet tasteful.

Performance:
The new TT motor is very strong. Acceleration is with no lag in sport mode and it pulls very hard. Feels like a mid 4 sec 0-60. It definitely feels a lot stronger than my 2009 CLS. While past non AMG's had strong acceleration as well, this model has other aspects that make it shine. It feels very stiff and planted. Wind and road noise is minimal even with the sport +1 pkg. The steering feel is excellent (the best non AMG & definitely better than pre 63 AMG models) The throttle response is sharp in "S" and not so as we all know in "E." Any of the reviews that have criticized the throttle response have likely done so due to having the car unknowingly in "E" mode. It is really annoying that you have to select "S" every time you turn the car on. Braking is also very adept. Overall, this is the best driving non AMG MB that I have ever driven. It seems to have moved the game further in every performance aspect (significantly) than the last CLS. It makes the last CLS feel softer. On a final performance note, the exhaust note is very nice. Just the right amount to let you know that there is a party under the hood.

Interior:
The quality of materials is very high. Very little cheap plastic to the touch. The leather dash on this model is definitely more supple to the last model. The seats are more supportive and the grey cross stitching that you get with the wheel pkg makes the interior look very elegant. I prefer the black ash to the burl as the slightly metallic flecks in the wood go nicely with the grey on black cross stitching. I was expecting the car to have a grey headliner as shown on the MB website. However was pleasantly surprised to see a black headliner when I picked the car up. There is more head and leg room in the back compared to the last CLS. We had the same person sit in both cars and it was clearly evident that the new CLS had a more comfortable rear.

Complaints:
1. Foot e-brake.....why this day and age on a 80+K car??
2. No 4 zone climate
3. No guide lines on the backup camera
4. Park assist: Too much of a hassle and quite uncomfortable. I preferred the system on the S where the Car lined you up and let you control the steering and acceleration. It also parks too close to the curb.
5. Why cant I have drive dynamic passenger seats if I want to pay for it?
6. Wont display track info while streaming blue tooth audio
7. While the climate controls work fine, they are the only "cheap" feeling parts on the car.

Not exactly any deal breakers here.

On a final note, this car was 1K more than my 2009 CLS550's MSRP which was just premium, sport and parktronic. Infact, if I had sport +1 on my other CLS it would have cost the same. The new model has a ton more than the 2009 for the same price. It is a lot of money but it is actually pretty good value for what you get in terms of tech, performace, comfort and above all curb appeal (which is the driving force behind the CLS)

Will post more in the days to come as usual & pics
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Cool review, thanks for the comparo!

The old model will remain pretty damn timeless, especially for such an evolutionary and freshmen design.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This actually concerned me when I saw the demonstration..it gets REALLY close to the curb. Stock rims are usually pretty much tucked in or lined to the body of the car. Larger after market rims, however, usually can stick out a bit. I wonder if the parking assist uses the body of the car or the wheels to position the car for the parking..because you could be in for some big time curb rashing.

Originally Posted by LETO

Complaints:
2. No 4 zone climate
4. Park assist: Too much of a hassle and quite uncomfortable. I preferred the system on the S where the Car lined you up and let you control the steering and acceleration. It also parks too close to the curb.
7. While the climate controls work fine, they are the only "cheap" feeling parts on the car.

On a final note, this car was 1K more than my 2009 CLS550's MSRP which was just premium, sport and parktronic. Infact, if I had sport +1 on my other CLS it would have cost the same. The new model has a ton more than the 2009 for the same price. It is a lot of money but it is actually pretty good value for what you get in terms of tech, performace, comfort and above all curb appeal (which is the driving force behind the CLS)

Old 06-22-2011, 12:31 AM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
Picked up our CLS550 over the weekend:
Black/Black
Premium1
Wheel +1
Driver Assistance with Distronic pkg
Parktronic with park assist
Premium Leather
Driver Multi Contour Seat
Rear Side Air Bags
Heated Rear Seats
Rear Trunk Spoiler

Initial Impressions: (Keep in mind I still have a 2009 CLS550 currently to compare to)

Appearance:
Car looks a lot better in Person & from certain angles in my garage is not that drastically different from the old model. As far as MB redesigns go, this is definitely evolutionary. IMHO it does not make the old car as dated as I thought it might have. Also, the various character lines that have been criticized on the car are not distracting at least in black. The LED headlights are stunning. They light up as the "C" shape in both main assemblies and the lower driving lamps during the day. Quite dramatic. Makes the car look thoroughly modern yet tasteful.

Performance:
The new TT motor is very strong. Acceleration is with no lag in sport mode and it pulls very hard. Feels like a mid 4 sec 0-60. It definitely feels a lot stronger than my 2009 CLS. While past non AMG's had strong acceleration as well, this model has other aspects that make it shine. It feels very stiff and planted. Wind and road noise is minimal even with the sport +1 pkg. The steering feel is excellent (the best non AMG & definitely better than pre 63 AMG models) The throttle response is sharp in "S" and not so as we all know in "E." Any of the reviews that have criticized the throttle response have likely done so due to having the car unknowingly in "E" mode. It is really annoying that you have to select "S" every time you turn the car on. Braking is also very adept. Overall, this is the best driving non AMG MB that I have ever driven. It seems to have moved the game further in every performance aspect (significantly) than the last CLS. It makes the last CLS feel softer. On a final performance note, the exhaust note is very nice. Just the right amount to let you know that there is a party under the hood.

Interior:
The quality of materials is very high. Very little cheap plastic to the touch. The leather dash on this model is definitely more supple to the last model. The seats are more supportive and the grey cross stitching that you get with the wheel pkg makes the interior look very elegant. I prefer the black ash to the burl as the slightly metallic flecks in the wood go nicely with the grey on black cross stitching. I was expecting the car to have a grey headliner as shown on the MB website. However was pleasantly surprised to see a black headliner when I picked the car up. There is more head and leg room in the back compared to the last CLS. We had the same person sit in both cars and it was clearly evident that the new CLS had a more comfortable rear.

Complaints:
2. No 4 zone climate

Nice writeup and comparo - did you consider any other vehicle? I currently have an 09 CLS (had an 06 before this one) - like the new one and it's relative value (competition is a good thing) but not sure if I want to get another one
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 AM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
cda,

Did consider the A7 briefly. But when I configured one it was within a couple thousand of the CLS.

As for your considering it, definitely test drive it as the feel and driving experience is completely different.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:47 AM
cda

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 AMG CLS53
cda,

Did consider the A7 briefly. But when I configured one it was within a couple thousand of the CLS.

As for your considering it, definitely test drive it as the feel and driving experience is completely different.
Thanks - will test drive one soon
Old 06-23-2011, 01:02 PM

'12 CLS550; '11 GL350 Btc;
The A7 is a 6cyl turbo. A more apples/apples competitor is the Panamera S. The A7 is a bit cheaper and the Pan S more expensive and both have a less than perfect rear end, imho. The CLS looks great from the rear and competes very well with the Pan S for much less $. All three are very nice so its a personal choice.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM

12 CLS550, 09 CLS550, 04Cooper,10 Cooper S
A Panamera S with options close to everything in my 85K CLS would be close to a nicely equipped CLS63......in which case I would have just got a CLS 63.

I agree that the Panamera is more of a direct competitor to the CLS. But the bloated options list drives the price so high that it is often incorrectly compared to the S & 7
Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 PM

CLS550 HRE 948R - CLK55 AMG Sold
Audi/VW versions can only be almost as good as the CLS. Audi always looses when it comes to power within the same class.
Ever drive an A5 with the outdated 3.2 6cyl? complete joke!
My wife even said this is really slow on the test drive. She chose the used CLK55 sight unseen shipped from cali to chi.
So i would imagine the A7 will be equally disappointing.

ECU flashed TTV8 is really the only reason i want the new one, looking forward to see how much offset the new body will take! Probably free up 100hp just from a flash!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:13 AM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Nice review!
Considering the CLS, but what concerns me is the air suspension up front that would make it feel too soft, and the exhaust note might be too quiet.
Will have to definitely test drive it...
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
I looked at the new CLS today, the 63 model. I got to sit in it, play around, and what not right before it was sold just this minute. The writeup from the OP is pretty much spot on. I am much more impressed seeing the new CLS in person, very nice upgrades and build quality. The guy that bought the 63 had traded in his JAG XF, which he said he hated after owning it for 8 months. I told him, huge step up.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:19 PM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
I feel for you Ben, that's when the bug bites. I hated the W212 until I got up close with it enough for myself to finally admit that I wanted it and had to trade up.

The new CLS is surprisingly subtle in person, and that's a great thing. Those lines look disastrous in some pics, and although I still don't agree with them, the whole package looks very elegant, and understated in a cunning way in person. If my 6'5 a$$ could fit in it, I might have been very much considering one in the future. Fortunately for my Bank Account that won't be the case, however.