CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Steering Angle Sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS500, 21" Interad Turismo Wheels, Renntech Lowering Module
Steering Angle Sensor

I recently starting getting a ESP malfunction, Active Headlights, and cruise control error on my dash, and the suspension goes VERY stiff. The dealer ran it through the SDS and says the steering angle sensor needs to be replaced, but of course its out of warranty and they want an arm and a leg to fix this. The messages dont show up when i start the car, only once I turn the wheel. The strange thing is this just started showing up a few weeks after I had my steering wheel replaced, the leather was all worn so I found a new one on ebay and had it changed at a local shop that specializes in mercedes. So I'm wondering if they screwed something up, or missed something, cause it just seems funny that i've never had this problem now all of a sudden this comes up.

From what I've read on the forums is that when changing the steering wheel you have to re-calibrate the steering angle sensor by turning it from lock to lock, then centre, anyone know what the proper procedure is? Is there something that just needs to be reset maybe?

Any help would be appreciated before i go in and spend retarded money to fix something that may only need to be reset or recalibrated.

Thanks.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS55 AMG
I also have ESP and Cruise control malfunctions, but steering wheel is not stiff at all, I had stiff suspension when the speed sensor went bad..
I still can't figure out how to get rid of these error codes
Old 08-28-2011, 11:26 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
@3FIFTY - I'm not going to say its a common problem, but I've seen it happen more and more frequently as these cars are aging. It's not a hard fix (if you have the right tools and know how to get the new one in there).. Basically the airbag, steering wheel, and steering column module have to come out and then taken apart to install the new sensor. As for clearing the codes, I don't know if a simple scan tool could do it unless you find someone with access to an SDS and clear it that way.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c220
Any luck with your prob got the same issue changed steering wheel now have the ESP light on