CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

4th gas tank on 2007 CLS 63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2011 | 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS 63
4th gas tank on 2007 CLS 63?

I just left my car at the dealership and the odds are good that I'll need to replace the gas tank for the 3rd time. Unfortunately I didn't ask many questions when the tank was replaced previously as the repairs were covered under warranty and I figured the last tank would end the problem and it was just my bad luck. So, have any of you faced this same problem? My car has less than 40k miles and I see a trend developing here. Also, any advice as to how to proceed if they try to stick me with the bill on this obvious defect? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 12-08-2011 | 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Originally Posted by Phoenix Dave
I just left my car at the dealership and the odds are good that I'll need to replace the gas tank for the 3rd time. Unfortunately I didn't ask many questions when the tank was replaced previously as the repairs were covered under warranty and I figured the last tank would end the problem and it was just my bad luck. So, have any of you faced this same problem? My car has less than 40k miles and I see a trend developing here. Also, any advice as to how to proceed if they try to stick me with the bill on this obvious defect? Thanks in advance for any help.
If I'm not mistaken, they have 3X to fix the problem until the car falls under the lemon law. But, even if you got it lemon lawed, the best outcome is some sort of pro-rated buyback that isn't always financially attractive.
Old 12-08-2011 | 02:24 PM

2007 CLS 63
SOL on Lemon Law

Thanks boschk. In AZ you have until the end of the mfg warranty or 24mo/24000 miles whichever is earlier so I'm SOL on that angle. I see that you're a senior member, other than the well documented E55 fuel sending unit issues can you recall a situation similar to mine on a W219 or any of the other recent AMG models? So far my searches are coming up empty.
Old 12-08-2011 | 02:24 PM

11 ML350
What's the problem you've been taking it in for?
Old 12-08-2011 | 03:28 PM

2007 CLS 63
Two of the three times has been the smell of raw fuel. One of the service visits was due to rough running/ knocking. The breather tube at the back of the engine they said was cracked and hence replaced. The tank replacement was an "oh, by the way we saw a problem with your gas tank and replaced it" kind of thing. It was done under warranty. That time around [approx 15 months ago] I had not smelled raw fuel.
Old 12-08-2011 | 05:00 PM

2007 CLS 63
Calling off the dogs

Well, I was wrong. It was the fuel sending unit this time and it is covered under the parts warranty since it had been replaced previously. I wonder how long the warranty is one my third tank that was installed in Sept of 2010?