07 CLS550 front clunking noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 slk55 AMG , '05 STI
07 CLS550 front clunking noise

Hey guys.

I have a friend with a '07 CLS550 with a clunking noise coming from the front. I can only hear it when getting in and out of the car, moving from a stand still, and coming to a stop. She took it to the local Mercedes dealership awhile ago and they said they couldn't find the problem.

So far I have replaced both upper control arms(myself). Now the noise is only coming from the passenger side. I've checked the ball joints and there is no play at all. I am completely stumped.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2012, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
Yeah thats odd, I had to do the ball joints on my CLS500 at 100k miles because they had significant play and were clunking. I feel like the ball joints need replacing before the control arms, maybe you should just take a guess and replace the ball joints. Although I got a clunking pulling into aprons and stuff, not really over bumps. Your problem doesnt seem to be the same
Old 08-07-2012, 02:19 PM

'08 slk55 AMG , '05 STI
Yea it seems really weird.. this car only has 25k miles. The local dealership has been very dodgy with this car so I dont really want to take it to them again. I will try to replace the ball joints and see if that fixes it.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
06 CLS500, 07 GL450
Originally Posted by jdmkai
Yea it seems really weird.. this car only has 25k miles. The local dealership has been very dodgy with this car so I dont really want to take it to them again. I will try to replace the ball joints and see if that fixes it.
When I purchased my pre owned CLS last month it was making a clunking noise took it to get serviced and check out clunking noise the shop told me it was some bolts under there were loose but not loose in danger but not tight where it should be. My previous E500 was making clunking squeeking noise turned out it was ball joints had to be replaced or you can re-grease/lubericate them.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:40 AM

'08 slk55 AMG , '05 STI
Thanks for the replies. Replaced the ball joints and everything turned out fine. No complaints.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:31 PM

2007 Cls550
I'm getting a similar problem with mine but mine only makes the sound when i am reversing. Its seems to make a rattle sound more then clunking sound but i have heard both sound. can this be the ball joint also and is it easy to fix the ball joint.

thanks
Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS, Grand Cherokee, Range Rover HSE, 70 cuda 440+6
This is an obvious problem on the cls. The dealers have no idea what it is or how to diagnose this. They are only parts changers. I been to 3 different dealers over a dozen times. Finally after they changed everything it seems to be gone. I have a stack of invoices. Thank god I have extended warranty. I will post up later what the last thing they changed was. I cannot remember after time many times to dealer.
My car has under 40, k . The noise sounded like a thumping or rattle while driving. Didn't even have to hit bumps. Just the weight transfer alone would cause this noise. It could also be felt through the firewall / floor boards. This noise originally was when I drove under 20 mph. Then gradually got worse than heard it up to 45mph.