CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Strange Airmatic issue: advice greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Strange Airmatic issue: advice greatly appreciated

For the past couple of weeks, I've been getting an intermittent Airmatic malfunction message, about every other drive. I put it at the back of my tod-do list, as the car seemed to be functioning fine.

Yesterday, during a long drive, I got the red "Stop: Car Too Low" error. I pulled over and, indeed, the front of the car at both corners was quite low although not so low as to hit the fenders/wheel wells. Both rear wheels were the correct height. Cycling the lift button and suspension settings had no impact. The warning went out after restarting, the car seemed drivable, so I finished my trip.

All day, the car was not lifting on opening/closing the doors as it should (soft "chirp," as usual but no hiss of air.)

Today, after searching this forum, i checked the common issues discussed, starting with the fuses which were fine. I jacked up the drivers front side to inspect the strut and look at the compressor. While on the jack stand, I open the drivers door...and, lo, the compressor goes off and the passenger side of the car (both front and back) lifts.

So, I figure AHA! - must be the drivers side strut, since the compressor and other three corners work normally when I relieve the pressure from the drivers side.

EXCEPT, when i jack up the passenger side of the car to test my theory, the compressor runs and the DRIVERS side rises as normal. When I put the car back on the ground, no compressor and both front corners are low again.

Any ideas? Or, do I have to find someone with a STAR tool?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:47 AM

2007 Cls550
had a problem similar to yours i couldn't figure it out sometimes the malfunction light was on and went off when i restarted the car. I took my car to the shop and the leveling sensor was going bad so it happened only once in awhile and after i replaced the sensor haven't had a problem since.

hope this helps you
Old 09-17-2012, 10:47 AM

CLS550
Originally Posted by 707cls
had a problem similar to yours i couldn't figure it out sometimes the malfunction light was on and went off when i restarted the car. I took my car to the shop and the leveling sensor was going bad so it happened only once in awhile and after i replaced the sensor haven't had a problem since.

hope this helps you
That is helpful, thanks. Now, I have to figure out where to but the front sensor modules.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,441 Likes on 3,153 Posts
'71 Pinto
Retrieve fault code(s) with SDS to identify faulty sensor or other malfunction once identified, obtain part # then check parts.com for price.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:27 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Retrieve fault code(s) with SDS to identify faulty sensor or other malfunction once identified, obtain part # then check parts.com for price.
Yes, that's the conclusion I'm coming to. I'm trying to find an independent with a STAR tool close to me.

Thanks.