CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Weird noise at 25 mph

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
CURRENT 23’ GLE63S Cpe — SOLD: S560 Cpe, GLE63S Cpe, CLS550, SL550, CLS550, SL55
Weird noise at 25 mph

Wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this same issue. I have a 08 CLS550. When the shocks are in Sport 1 or Sport 2 mode every time you hit 25 mph (exactly on the dot) there is a light sound that's like a slight clunk. Initially I thought it was like the transmission engaging but when I turn the shocks to normal it doesn't do this. You have to turn your radio off to hear it and as the driver I almost feel it slightly in the chassis.

I took it into MBZ out here in Henderson, Nevada where I bought it about 2 months ago and they had to get in the car with me to show them and duplicate the problem and then left it. They said nothing is wrong and that this is normal for all of the CLS. I can't imagine that a car like this would have a slight clunk or any noise for that matter on a normal basis right... Its CPO so I have the warranty to cover costs to repair, etc. so I would think that if there was something wrong they would want to do the repairs to make some money right...

Also the shocks creek (all 4) when you go over a big speed bump or do something that puts strain on it like when I pull into my drive way which is steep and you go from a flat surface then up the start of the hill. MBZ also said this was normal and nothing to worry about...

The car is completely stock so no modifications have been done.

Anyone else experience this and is it normal?
Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
06 CLS500, 07 GL450
When I bought mine used made clunking noises at low speed had my Indy shop check it out, they told me they re-tightened some bolts on suspension i think bushings was loose but no do loose in danger but loose where it should have been tightened. No more clink noise after. My suspension does a slight creak when at a stop turning wheel side to side. Hope it's not something to be concerned about.