CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Links Question?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Links Question?

After checking all of the threads on lowering my CLS63, I've decided to go with the links. I would like to know if the Ghost links (with only two links), or Adjustableairride links (3 links) are better? GL instruct you to adjust your stock link to lower rear. Is that best or is it better to use a new rear link to lower? What do you guys think? Thanks for your input.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:37 AM

CLS 500
I just had my CLS500 lowered yesterday with the Adjustableairride links (3 Links) and it looks really nice. The only caveat is that, without access to a lift, it's near impossible to adjust the rear link. The fronts are easy to adjust. I have tried the option of lowering the back myself without using the links by re-locating the sensor (found that option on this site), but went ahead and purchased the lowering links. I didn't want to have to drill holes to re-locate the sensor. I'm not sure how it is on the CLS63. Not sure that fully answered your question, just my two cents.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 PM

CLS63
Originally Posted by bkana
I just had my CLS500 lowered yesterday with the Adjustableairride links (3 Links) and it looks really nice. The only caveat is that, without access to a lift, it's near impossible to adjust the rear link. The fronts are easy to adjust. I have tried the option of lowering the back myself without using the links by re-locating the sensor (found that option on this site), but went ahead and purchased the lowering links. I didn't want to have to drill holes to re-locate the sensor. I'm not sure how it is on the CLS63. Not sure that fully answered your question, just my two cents.
bkana
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 PM

CLS63
bkana,...yes your reply sheds some light on my concern. Did you install the rear link yourself or have an installer do it? I would like to install them myself. Thanks
Old 01-23-2013, 07:26 AM

CLS 500
I had someone else do it. It only costs me $150.00. Well worth the money after seeing what they had to do to install the rear link. Again, the front links are easy and I could have handled the rear myself, but would have taken some time and I would have probably used a jack and jack stands to do it. It would also prove more difficult if you’re a larger person with fat fingers or large hands, as the area where the rear link is installed is pretty tight. Although, that’s on my CLS500 and I'm not sure how it would be on the 63.

Also, the place that did it for me let me watch as they did it when the car was on the lift, so whenever I want to adjust them I now know what to do. There's also a place near me that's sort of a do-it-yourself garage with a lift, so I can use that place if I ever have to adjust them.
I'm mechanically inclined and did attempt to get under the car and see if I could do the rear myself before having someone else do it and it is possible, it just would have been a little of a challenge. If you can afford the $$, have someone else do it.

One more thing. As the front links are easy to adjust, I think you'll still need a lift or the use of a jack/jack stands to adjust them after the initial lowering.

You'll also have to trip the lowering button in the vehicle after each adjustment.

I hope I was helpful. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

I'll I need to do now is get some spacers!
Old 01-23-2013, 03:43 PM

CLS63
I had someone else do it. It only costs me $150.00. Well worth the money after seeing what they had to do to install the rear link. Again, the front links are easy and I could have handled the rear myself, but would have taken some time and I would have probably used a jack and jack stands to do it. It would also prove more difficult if you’re a larger person with fat fingers or large hands, as the area where the rear link is installed is pretty tight. Although, that’s on my CLS500 and I'm not sure how it would be on the 63.

Also, the place that did it for me let me watch as they did it when the car was on the lift, so whenever I want to adjust them I now know what to do. There's also a place near me that's sort of a do-it-yourself garage with a lift, so I can use that place if I ever have to adjust them.
I'm mechanically inclined and did attempt to get under the car and see if I could do the rear myself before having someone else do it and it is possible, it just would have been a little of a challenge. If you can afford the $$, have someone else do it.

One more thing. As the front links are easy to adjust, I think you'll still need a lift or the use of a jack/jack stands to adjust them after the initial lowering.

You'll also have to trip the lowering button in the vehicle after each adjustment.

I hope I was helpful. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

I'll I need to do now is get some spacers!
Thanks for the info. Will definitely go with the AAR links!

Got any pics of your drop?
Old 01-24-2013, 07:21 AM

CLS 500
It snowed this morning, so not the best day to take pics. I'll post some in a day or two. It basically looks like any other normal (not slammed) drop you'll find on this discussion board. I guess I have about a 3/4 inch gap between the wheel and fender. However, I still need to get spacers because the wheels are tucked in just a bit. What year is your 63 - that's what I hope to get next.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:25 PM

CLS63
It snowed this morning, so not the best day to take pics. I'll post some in a day or two. It basically looks like any other normal (not slammed) drop you'll find on this discussion board. I guess I have about a 3/4 inch gap between the wheel and fender. However, I still need to get spacers because the wheels are tucked in just a bit. What year is your 63 - that's what I hope to get next.
I have an 07 CLS63. When I first joined this forum, I was all set on purchasing the 06 CLS55. I ended up changing my mind since I wasn't going to do any major engine mods to it. I'm still modding my Mustang and felt that the 63 was already powerful enough!! I just received my front and roof spoilers and will be installing them maybe this weekend. Ordering nice aggressive 20x9/20x11 set of wheels, but they will not be ready until March!! Can't wait for those!!

Running 305s in the rear too!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:43 AM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
one thing to keep in mind about links - and maybe guys running links can chime in: what is the impact from having more people in your car? Does running links disable the AIRMATIC from making ride height adjustments completely?

I typically run my lowering module on -1.8" front and -1.6" rear on my 20s, but when there are even 2 additional people in the car, you can see that the car is sitting approx 0.25-0.30" inches lower, so I use the module to raise the settings so that it wont rub.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:59 PM

CLS63
^^^ That's a good question. Don't remember reading any threads about that. Can anyone confirm??
Old 02-17-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS550
Links DO NOT disable the AirMatics at all. The only thing that Links do is manipulate the Air Matic sensor so your car can drop lower than stock.