CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Where to buy breaks/rotors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2013 | 08:51 PM

NA
Where to buy breaks/rotors

i am looking to do a rear break change on my 2008 cls, i would like to change the rotors too, is there a particular ones i should get? also would it be cheaper to order online both the pads and rotors?
Old 03-02-2013 | 11:35 PM

'07 CLS 550, 09 GL320
Funny you should ask. I just changed my rears today on my 2007. Factory rotors are Balo and the pads are Jurid. I ordered from AutohausAZ.com.

0044204420 Brake Pad Set; Rear
2114230912 Brake Disc/Brake Rotor; Rear Left/Right; Vented

I replaced the front last weekend and had ordered those from mbonlineparts.com

I only had jack stands but wish that I could have gotten the car up higher because the 18mm bolts holding the caliper bracket to the axle are tough to get to effectively on the ground. Use some blue locktight on the bolts and clean the caliper bolts and all surfaces where the pads fit in the bracket and then use some silicone grease on the caliper bolt surface that the caliper floats on and some anti-seize on the edges of the new pads where the slide in the bracket.

I had to remove the small wire loom from the bracket behind the knuckle to be able to get my tools on the bolts.

Not too bad. Just take your time. Remember that the parking brake must be released before removing the rotor and you'll have to beat the rotor with a BFH from the back side to get it off the hub.

Last edited by TexasRedNeck; 03-02-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 03-03-2013 | 02:13 AM

CLS550
I just order some new brake pads also. Front and Rear. Instead of purchasing OEM, I purchased EBC Red Stuff. I used them on my SC430 (previous car) and really like them. I hate all the dust that OEM pads create.

I was debating if I should change the rotors also. I am really not sure how often the rotors need to be change.

I was thinking about purchasing EBC USR Slotted Rotors. Rotors are made in Britain. Considering EBC is known for brakes, I am pretty sure they are a good quality. Over all, they also have good reviews too.

How often does rotors have to be replaced? I don't have the rotor measure tool so I am not sure if I need to place mine. Currently I have 68K miles on my car..
Old 03-03-2013 | 02:52 AM

CLS550
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck
Funny you should ask. I just changed my rears today on my 2007. Factory rotors are Balo and the pads are Jurid. I ordered from AutohausAZ.com.

0044204420 Brake Pad Set; Rear
2114230912 Brake Disc/Brake Rotor; Rear Left/Right; Vented

I replaced the front last weekend and had ordered those from mbonlineparts.com

I only had jack stands but wish that I could have gotten the car up higher because the 18mm bolts holding the caliper bracket to the axle are tough to get to effectively on the ground. Use some blue locktight on the bolts and clean the caliper bolts and all surfaces where the pads fit in the bracket and then use some silicone grease on the caliper bolt surface that the caliper floats on and some anti-seize on the edges of the new pads where the slide in the bracket.

I had to remove the small wire loom from the bracket behind the knuckle to be able to get my tools on the bolts.

Not too bad. Just take your time. Remember that the parking brake must be released before removing the rotor and you'll have to beat the rotor with a BFH from the back side to get it off the hub.
How difficult was it to change the brake pads? I thought you had to deactivate SBC with Star Diagnostic? How did you deactivate SBC?

What about changing Rotors? Was it very difficult?

I use to change the brake pads for my SC430 but with MB I am not sure with all the warning about deactivating SBC.
Old 03-03-2013 | 10:22 AM

'07 CLS 550, 09 GL320
Originally Posted by JS-CLS550
How difficult was it to change the brake pads? I thought you had to deactivate SBC with Star Diagnostic? How did you deactivate SBC?

What about changing Rotors? Was it very difficult?

I use to change the brake pads for my SC430 but with MB I am not sure with all the warning about deactivating SBC.
SBC was discontinued for the 2007 and forward model years. 2006 was the last year and I don't know the date the mfg switched over so it is possible that some 2006 do and some don't. I was told that there are conspicuous markings under the hood on the braking components that indicate SBC. If you have SBC, google mercedes SBC brake replacement, or sensotronic brake replacment and you'll find a couple of proceedures for deactivating the system so you can replace the pads.

IMO, rotors should be replaced each time you change pads. There is very little tolerance for wear on the MB rotors and my experience has been that the amount of wear from one set of pads would put them beyond spec after 2 sets. YMMV, but they are cheap insurance at $83 each for the front and about $60 each for the rear. It take a little while longer because you have to remove the caliper/bracket from the hub, but overall not bad. Just remember to use some blue loctite on the bolts when reattaching.

Last edited by TexasRedNeck; 03-03-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-03-2013 | 10:27 AM

'07 CLS 550, 09 GL320
As for aftermarket stuff, to each his own. I tried aftermarket pads on my W210 years ago and was not happy. Yes the factory dust is bad, but overall, I'm happy. I don't need "race pads" for my daily driver. I'm sure as long as you stick with good quality stuff you'll be OK.