7G Tronic problem or not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS350
7G Tronic problem or not?

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2005 CLS350 with 120k kilometers on the plate and I can honestly say I'm in love with this car.
I wanted to change the oil of the gearbox as in the service book there was no gerabox oil change marked. I went to automatic transmission service center, where I did the change - 10l MB transmission oil, filter and gasket. When I picked up the car everything was like before - smooth gear changes. I was calm that the oil was changed and strated driving in S mode with hard step on the gas and on the breaks for about 10 kilometers. Then I switched back to C mode and drove nomrally - no issues. On the next day when I drove the car I started feeling hard cick in the back just before stopping when the car is downshifting from 2nd to 1st. After a few days of normal driving this cick was almost gone unless I step hard on the breaks. However when the car is cold and the first time it shifts down from 2nd to 1st there is hard cick. I went to the garage, made some tests with diagnose tool while driving, but there were no errors found and the car shifts up and down with no issues except 2nd to 1st with hard foot on the breaks - again no error codes. The guy said I shouldn't be too worried about this, but I'm just asuming they don't know what exactly the problem might be. I read a lot of threads about issues with 7G tronic, but most were related to hard upshift + downshift and I don't have such issues. I was told to wait for the new software update comming end of this month. Any suggestions?

P.S. Going to MB dealer won't solve this as they use the same diagnose tool.
P.S.2 I'm from Bulgaria but there's not much information in our MB forums

Last edited by jivko2886; 05-23-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM

2009 CLS550, parktronic, Navi
I am not sure why this would suddenly start occurring. I didn't trust my transmission service to a non-MB mechanic due to the more complicated procedure. And the cost savings was negligible. See the following thread, and share this with your transmission service mechanic and ask for an honest answer if they performed these steps:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ce-thread.html
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
1994 S420 RIP (2/8/13), 06 CLS55, 02 ML55, 94 TT Supra, 89 Maserati 228, 911 Porsche Carerra
And understand that if they did it perfectly it will still be improperly done unless the correct fluid is used. It is Shell ATF 134. Very difficult to find and even more difficult to ship because Shell doesn't put seals on the bottle top before they cap it. If you need info on how to get it let me know.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:48 AM

Mercedes CLS350
Originally Posted by vvrjrlaw
And understand that if they did it perfectly it will still be improperly done unless the correct fluid is used. It is Shell ATF 134. Very difficult to find and even more difficult to ship because Shell doesn't put seals on the bottle top before they cap it. If you need info on how to get it let me know.
Thanks a lot for the answers. From what you're saying it is possible to have the wrong fluid in my gearbox, as they told me they put an original gearbox fluid from Mercedes. I wasn't there so cannot be sure if that's true. About the procedure they said they've changed it properly and that's not the first 7G tronic gearbox they're changing the fluid of.
Maybe I will try diagnose in Mercedes. I read a lot of threads for issues after gearbox oil change in Mercedes dealerships in USA, so that's why I didn't go to Mercedes Bulgaria. The question is can I count on the software update or it's the fluid that's causing the kicks.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:26 AM

Mercedes CLS350
Last week I left my car for installing BRC LPG fuel system. It was in the shop for 4 days. When I got it back and drove it around for a test, the kicks were gone. I asked them if they did something with the software and they told me that they've rest some systems in order to synchronize the computer to work with the new fuel system. Since then the issue is gone even when tha car is cold.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:39 AM

CLS 350 W219
Hi Jivko, I'm Georgi form Burgas, a friend of mine changed his gearbox oil in a local service center and he suffered the exact same problem, I was in the car and I felt it too, we went to proper technician and he reset the whole system and the car was fine after that, changing the transmission oil was the only procedure I did in the official Mercedes dealer, just to be sure that it will be done properly. If you experience any problems again can give you the phone number of the technician.
By the way how is the LPG ?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Mercedes CLS350
Originally Posted by Elrond
Hi Jivko, I'm Georgi form Burgas, a friend of mine changed his gearbox oil in a local service center and he suffered the exact same problem, I was in the car and I felt it too, we went to proper technician and he reset the whole system and the car was fine after that, changing the transmission oil was the only procedure I did in the official Mercedes dealer, just to be sure that it will be done properly. If you experience any problems again can give you the phone number of the technician.
By the way how is the LPG ?
Hi Georgi,

Please send the number of the mechanic on private message.
Really appreciate it!

Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 03:51 PM

Mercedes E320 CDI
Originally Posted by jivko2886
Hi Georgi,

Please send the number of the mechanic on private message.
Really appreciate it!

Thanks

Hi Jivko,
I am Zhivko from Shumen, having the same problem with my E Class cdi 2007 7g Tronic. I went to have it diagnosed today in Varna in a garage I was recommended for auto gearbox problems. The guys took it inside and by the time I had my coffee the mechanic came outside and explained to me that there is no problem whatsoever with the car. He explained that the gearbox is adaptive to the style of driving and sometimes when you do mainly city driving it can behave like this. He said you need yo go and drive outside town for a while and it will fix itself. I hope this really works this way and have to wait for few days to see. What bothers me is that I bought this car when it was six months old and have driven it for about 150000km without it ever having to adapt itself to my or anyone elses style of driving and now suddenly the gearbox dicided it needs adaptation. Have you had any other problems with yours or everything is now working properly.

Pozdravi,
Zhivko
Old 05-01-2015, 07:11 PM

Mercedes CLS350
Originally Posted by zhelevzz
Hi Jivko,
I am Zhivko from Shumen, having the same problem with my E Class cdi 2007 7g Tronic. I went to have it diagnosed today in Varna in a garage I was recommended for auto gearbox problems. The guys took it inside and by the time I had my coffee the mechanic came outside and explained to me that there is no problem whatsoever with the car. He explained that the gearbox is adaptive to the style of driving and sometimes when you do mainly city driving it can behave like this. He said you need yo go and drive outside town for a while and it will fix itself. I hope this really works this way and have to wait for few days to see. What bothers me is that I bought this car when it was six months old and have driven it for about 150000km without it ever having to adapt itself to my or anyone elses style of driving and now suddenly the gearbox dicided it needs adaptation. Have you had any other problems with yours or everything is now working properly.

Pozdravi,
Zhivko
Hi Zhivko,

It doesn't seem normal, especially when you say that you haven't experienced such issues before.
Did the problem occur when you changed the transmission oil?
I still have some hard shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear mainly when the car is cold. I went recently for a gearbox diagnosis to gemini 4 - very reputable shop where I changed the oil 2 years ago. I requested the diagnosis to be performed while driving. The technician didn't find any errors and told me they can try and adjust the settings for the gear shifts. I decided not to do this now, but when I do the next oil change.
Did you go to softelectronic for the diagnosis?

Pozdravi!
Old 02-25-2020, 04:34 PM

Cls 320 edition
Hello

Originally Posted by jivko2886
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 2005 CLS350 with 120k kilometers on the plate and I can honestly say I'm in love with this car.
I wanted to change the oil of the gearbox as in the service book there was no gerabox oil change marked. I went to automatic transmission service center, where I did the change - 10l MB transmission oil, filter and gasket. When I picked up the car everything was like before - smooth gear changes. I was calm that the oil was changed and strated driving in S mode with hard step on the gas and on the breaks for about 10 kilometers. Then I switched back to C mode and drove nomrally - no issues. On the next day when I drove the car I started feeling hard cick in the back just before stopping when the car is downshifting from 2nd to 1st. After a few days of normal driving this cick was almost gone unless I step hard on the breaks. However when the car is cold and the first time it shifts down from 2nd to 1st there is hard cick. I went to the garage, made some tests with diagnose tool while driving, but there were no errors found and the car shifts up and down with no issues except 2nd to 1st with hard foot on the breaks - again no error codes. The guy said I shouldn't be too worried about this, but I'm just asuming they don't know what exactly the problem might be. I read a lot of threads about issues with 7G tronic, but most were related to hard upshift + downshift and I don't have such issues. I was told to wait for the new software update comming end of this month. Any suggestions?

P.S. Going to MB dealer won't solve this as they use the same diagnose tool.
P.S.2 I'm from Bulgaria but there's not much information in our MB forums
Hello
I have the same symptoms.
So do you resolve
Thanks