CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Front tires wear out unevenly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Front tires wear out unevenly

Hi guys, first post here. I've been a long time lurker on this site, long before I picked up my '06 CLS55, gathering wonderful amounts of info and now have my first question to post.

My vehicle is in the shop as I have had a slight vibration in the steering wheel at speeds between 70-90KM/hr(40-55MPH) but no vibration when I do a hard brake or have to do a sudden stop. Sometimes the vibration can be felt at low speeds too at acceleration. Also, I hear a little humm from the tires when driving. My right front tire has been wearing down a lot faster than the left and is almost gone so I was wondering what would cause this. The shop I have brought it to, has told me that they went for a quick drive and deemed that it was my front right tire that is the issue because it is almost bald(but not worn out and still very usable). I asked them if they checked anything else and what is causing the right to wear down more than the left. He mentioned it may be the camber on the CLS that causes it to wear more(huh??? on one side more than the next). Anyways I asked them to put it on the hoist to see if they can find anything and to check the rotors as well. They get back to me and tell me everything looks good and I end up buying new tires for it. I pick it up tonight so I will keep you posted. I know it will be better because of the new tires, but is this just temporary fix until the right tire wear down quick again? My gut feeling before I brought it to the shop was that the right rotor was warped and I needed new ones but the shop hasn't mentioned that. Any input would be appreciated as I am going to pick up the CLS in a few hours and I want to make sure I ask them the right questions or do you guys think this is just normal wear and tear?
Old 11-21-2013, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS500
sounds like you need an alignment. Try driving the car down a straight flat road and let go of the steering wheel and see if it pulls to one side or the other. Camber will wear out your tires faster if its not where its supposed to be. Get an alignment
Old 11-22-2013, 07:05 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 cls550
A warped rotor in theory could cause the vibration but not the tire wear. Any shop has a simple gauge that measures the rotor as you spin it and tells you if it is warped.

Alignment needed though regardless.