CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.
View Poll Results: What CLS model to buy?
CLS350 V6 petrol
18.18%
CLS320 CDi V6 or CLS350 CDi V6 diesel
18.18%
CLS500
54.55%
CLS engines are rubbish - buy an italian designer sofa instead
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

W219 CLS engines - blance shaft and idling gear sprocket issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350 2006, Vovlo S60 2.4T
Question W219 CLS engines - blance shaft and idling gear sprocket issue

Hi All MB owners,

I was just about to purchase a CLS350 petrol year 2005 and searched for common problems. To my surprise I found that there has been a class suite regarding the M272 and M273 engines balance shaft (M272) and idle gear sprocket on M273 engines. I get the impression that MB has improved the material of the shaft and sprocket on later models. But from what year are the engines "OK" - and are the later engines OK??
Not really familiar with the MD engine codes I understand that the M272 is the petrol V6 and the M273 is the V8, I also understand that these engines are found in several MB models, I am however only interested in the W219 CLS models because I like the design of these cars.
As I found out about the problem I now wonder is also the CLS 320 CDi and CLS350 CDi V6 diesel engines suffering from the same issue?
What engine codes do the diesel engines use?
I am pretty much a "petrol head" and have never owned a diesel engine car so less keen on a diesel. But I do not want all the problems that can follow from the problem with the idle gear sprocket ceasing to exist on the V6 petrol engines and apparently also on early CLS500 V8 petrol engines. Only thinking about all metal that can end up in the oil pump, oil channels, tappets, camshafts, bearings not to mention the turbochargers I just cancelled the purchase of the car I already reserved CLS 350 petrol 61k miles on the clock.
I can afford a much newer car, however as a designer I feel the early CLS models are more beautiful than the later ones!
The 2nd gen CLS the wing mirrors do no longer follow/replicate the roof line - and the squared exhaust tips does not fit the curved and nicely tensioned body lines as well as the elliptical exhaust did on the first models. Not to mention the very latest CLS models from 2011 onwards - they are just UGLY! (Sorry, but that is my personal opinion, so hope nobody will be very offended or upset). For me the 2011 and onwards CLS models are of NO INTREST AT ALL, the design is so completely destroyed that I cannot find the car desirable at all.
I cannot understand how MB could destroy the classy and beautiful lines of the early CLS so completely by adding VULGAR edges and "fat" wheel arches and a very bulky front grille to the previously so classy design. MB would not have needed to "update" the CLS design at all, a design classic in my view.
Anyway, back to the engines. What engine to go for a 2005-2010 CLS W219?
Is the diesel V6 320CDi or 350CDi the only reliable engines? - or does these suffer from the same issues as the petrol V6?
As such a V8 should be a better engine configuration but I understand also the M273 engines have had problems!
Should I forget to buy a CLS? Or just buy it as an expensive "sofa"?? Counting on it that it will cease to have an engine when the mileage is over 60k miles? Your views, opinions and EXPERIENCES will be highly valued .
I am also a far too busy man today to have time to rebuild engines just "for the fun" of it.
What CLS model to go for - answer my poll, thank you. - or should I just forget the beautiful early CLS models?
I am not keen on any AMG CL55 or CL63 of design reasons and I take it easy so I have no need for more performance than what the CLS350 or CLS500 models would provide.
Are all early CLS 350 petrol V6 engines as rubbish as the class suite suggests???
I called Mercedes Benz in UK, who pretended that they were fully unaware of the balance shaft and idle gear sprocket issue, despite that the car in question had an M272 engine in the concerned range in the law suit. Any recalls in UK. Any "goodwill" for replacement of the balance shaft and idle gear after warranty has expired in UK.
I suppose M-B are less keen to admit any problems. In any case the sprocket images with missing tooth’s I've seen online from V6 CLS350 petrol engines with less than 70kmiles are pretty shocking. I used to build racing engines when younger and have never seen "chewed" up sprockets like these on such a low mileage engines. Considering what the purchase price of these cars have been when new it is pretty chocking, I had the impression MB made quality cars but apparently they wont last as long as any Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Mitsubishi or Volvo...

Last edited by seo_alexander; 08-02-2013 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:13 AM

ASX,Benelli TnT Sport
W219 engine problems

Have you had no response to this thread. I agree with your thoughts on design, and would love to buy a pre 2010 model but I am gravely concerned at the attitude to this engine issue.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:44 AM

ASX,Benelli TnT Sport
V6 petrol anybody anything to add to this thread ?

Originally Posted by davidtucker7
Have you had no response to this thread. I agree with your thoughts on design, and would love to buy a pre 2010 model but I am gravely concerned at the attitude to this engine issue.

Any responses.