Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes CLS350
Oil level warning?

Hi guys,

I keep on getting the following error:
"Add 1 liter of engine oil on next refueling".

Went to the dealer today because I had a leak from the oil cooler. They replaced some gaskets/seals and cam magnet because I had P0015 error code. No other errors in the memory and no other leaks.
They said the oil level is fine as well as the oil level sensor. When I asked them why I keep on getting the warning they told me the sensor is not very accurate. Of course they offered to replace it, but as the car is out of waranty I wouldn't want to do that unless it's neccessary.
My question is when the sensor is faulty is there an error store in the memory?
My concern is that if I mesure the oil level myself according to service manual - engine at operating temperature, turn it off, wait at least 5 minutes and check, it turns out to be at min level. If I wait for 10-20 minutes more the oil level goes close to the max(2-3 points below). I cannot understand which one is correct.

Any ideas, has anyone else experienced the same?

Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 11:06 AM

CLS 350 W219
Hi, ( zdrasti ).

Have you replenished any oil so far? How many Km. after the last oil change ? Does the sigh fill 1l. stays or it comes and go ?
Old 10-02-2013, 11:57 AM

Mercedes CLS350
Originally Posted by Elrond
Hi, ( zdrasti ).

Have you replenished any oil so far? How many Km. after the last oil change ? Does the sigh fill 1l. stays or it comes and go ?
Здравей Георги

Hi,

I had very few oil left after my first oil change - like 150-200ml. I added it the first time I got the message. After a while I got the message again. Then I added 400ml. Then again I got the message and added 300ml.
The warning comes on and goes off after a while - e.g. warning comes on, I switch back to Audio menu on the dash, when I stop on a traffic light and switch to Malfunction menu the warning is gone and it won't come on again or it will but it will go away again. If I drive on the highway wiht high speed 180-200km/h it will come on, then if I slow down to 140km/h it will come off. It's not constant.
As I said I cannot even understand the proper way of measuring the oil level via dipstick.
I know there is a TSB for oil level sensor, but cannot be 100% sure. I read a lot of posts of people who have changed the sensor and still experience the same issues. I'm a bit confused and I keep thinking my engine can crash at any time.
Dealer says oil level is ok, no other errors than P0015. On the other hand I'm thinking - should I even worry about that?
Old 10-02-2013, 01:15 PM

CLS 350 W219
Hi

Don't worry at all. The problem you are experiencing is very common with the new highway. First it was my father to get it, after that me and my brother. When I went to the Balkan star service in Sofia, they told me that this happens to all cars on the new highway especially in direction Bourgas - Sofia, because of the slope (naklona). When I got the message to fill a litre of oil I was also worried, but the other thing which they told me in the service shop was, that those engines always drink oil when driven fast and by the sound of it (180-200km/h) is pretty fast, I personally have reached 200 only once with this car. The service dealer said that anything between 1-3 litres per 20000km is normal.
My first 20000km. I never exceeded 150km/h and never refilled any oil next 20000km. I refilled 1 litre, but may be because I gave the car to my brother, he is a fast driver.

Also have in mind that an accurate reading for the oil sensor is when the car is on a road without any slope with 90km/h.

So you have added 900ml. of oil so far, how many km after the last oil change ?

Also when do you add the oil when the car is cold in the morning or just after it has been running ? It matters, because if you are overfilling the engine with oil it might burn the excess oil leaving the impression of increased oil consumption

So my advice is to don't worry, measure the oil in the morning when the car is cold, (remember to wipe the stick the first time) and make mark of the oil level after that drive 1000km. and check again (try to do not drive with 200, just for the accuracy of the reading) if it hasn't moved noticeable, next time when you measure it when the engine is cold, don't worry if it has moved a lot, then ... there are other options (cheap ones in Bg).

I hope that will help you.

Last edited by Elrond; 10-02-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 PM

Mercedes CLS350
Мерси много, Георги!

Thanks a lot for the response, Elrond.
The truth is I have never mesured the oil on engine that has reached the operating temperature. Now I decided to check my own owner's manual which is in Italian, and it seems I have mistaken since the beginning of the oil level measurement as the manual says the engine has to be at operating system for the electronic measurement from the instrument cluster. There are even warning messages that say that you haven't waited enough time. This type of measurement is only available for CLS 500 and CLS 55 AMG.
For our CLS 350 the only measurement possible is through dipstick and MB haven't mentioned anything about waiting and that the engine has to be at operating temperature. Also another thing I didn't know was the difference between MIN and MAX oil level for our M272 engine is 2 liters.
The bad thing is I guess I shouldn't have added oil even the first time the message appeared.
I will measure the oil level tomorrow when the engine is cold, but I guess it would be over MAX.
I cannot imagine what damage could this 900ml do to my engine.

Last edited by jivko2886; 10-03-2013 at 04:55 PM.