CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

HID low beam replacement, what not to do.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 cls550
HID low beam replacement, what not to do.

Hi all. Well, I've spent the last ten hours trying to replace two low beam lights on my 07 CLS550, with nothing to show for it. In fact, I am without low beams at this point, because, once I got the old bulbs out, I could not get the igniters to reseat. Here is a bit of documentation, and a few what not to do.

First, if you own a CLS, do not take out the wheel well linings. It will not help you reach the low beam area. In photo 1, it shows the area directly behind the low beam light is blocked by a metal portion of the well. Photo 2 shows it from the engine compartment.

Second, detailed instruction is hard to come by for the CLS, but I've been working on cars, and motorcycles since I was 15, so I thought that I would give it a shot. How hard could it be, right?

After you manage to get the old bulb out is where it gets tricky. There are metal clips that hold the bulbs in place, be careful or they might fall out. Happened to me, and I have no idea how to put them back. Is the new bulb inserted into the lens, and fastened with the clips, or is the bulb inserted into the igniter, and then inserted into the lens as one piece? Well I tried both, to know avail. When you insert the bulb into the lens and fasten it with the metal clips, you have to pay close attention to the orientation of the two knobs on the bulb (photo 3). They must line up with two slots on the igniter (photo 4), while simutaneously aligning four tabs on the igniter to fit into slots in the rear of the lens photos 5 and 6). Keep in mind that all the while, you will be working blind, as I could never find a way to get enough light on the subject once you put your hand near the lens hole. There is also a wire running from the ballast to the igniter that must be reattached, but before you can reattach it, there is a brownish white tab inside the igniter plug hole that must be depressed. Have you ever connected two plugs together using one hand, blind?

This is by far, the most frustrating job that I have ever attempted. It should not be this difficult to replace a headlight. When I was younger, I would remove the entire headlight housing, but I just don't have the patience anymore. Suddenly $200 to have it done doesn't seem like such a bad idea.

To those of you who have successfully replaced headlights, kudos and congrats. As for me, I will be making a trip to the repair shop. I hope that the photos help someone else in their attempt. One of my motivations for trying this was to provide a photographic record of how to. Unfortunately, it did not pan out that way.
Attached Thumbnails HID low beam replacement, what not to do.-1.jpg   HID low beam replacement, what not to do.-2.jpg   HID low beam replacement, what not to do.-3.jpg   HID low beam replacement, what not to do.-4.jpg   HID low beam replacement, what not to do.-5.jpg  

HID low beam replacement, what not to do.-6.jpg  

Last edited by titanium681; 10-19-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:13 AM

CLS500
Long needle nose pliers they work.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
W212 E250 BT 4M
Within last year i replaced my HID low beam light bulbs twice ( OEM Philips 4200K or 5000K or so and recently upgraded to 6000K ). Its not that hard to do its just you have to be patient and keep trying over and over . On the driver side you have to unscrew some black plastic reservoir, that will give you an inch more of space to work with. And i do have big hands so both times end up with few scratches
Old 11-26-2013, 03:23 PM

2006 CLS500
I applaud your attempt at a write-up. Mercedes hides DIY's from us because they want our money and don't want us fooling around with our cars. I have been a DIY guy forever and enjoy working on MY car. My other car is a Corvette and the Corvette Forum is full of guys with solutions, however, one , who owns a Mercedes, has to look at many sources to find a way to do things. There are several guys on this Forum that you can go to for answers. Konigstiger is tops and has helped many owners, including me. I appreciate all the helpful guys, who deserve a big round of applause.