Failure: Rear right turn signal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2014 | 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
Failure: Rear right turn signal

Hello everybody,

I have a 2009 CLS 550 with LED tail lights. When I turn to the right side and start the right turn signal, sometimes the right arrow on the dashboard blinks (and clicks) faster than normal and I get two error messages:

- Rear right turn signal
- Rear right turn signal Back-up bulb on

If I go outside and look on the car, all right turn lights work normally and even blink in normal speed (slower than the right arrow on the dashboard). The lights work normally, but I get a failure message.

Sometimes the right turn lights work properly without any failure messages.
Is there anything I can do with it?

Thanks,
Petr
Old 02-24-2014 | 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
So, I've played with the right rear tail light a bit and here is what I discovered so far:

- The 7-pin (or more?) connector on the light has no signs of burning, it looks like new. All wires hold in place perfectly.

- I was trying to move all wires, connector, shake with the wires etc., but I was not able to reproduce the problem.

- There are many connectors with single wires on the light. When I disconnected the one connecting the LED turn light, I reproduced the problem: the backing white light was now blinking instead of the turn LED light, the right arrow on the dashboard started to blink faster and I got the failure messages. When I connected the wire back, the turn light started to work properly, but the arrow still blinked faster and there was still the failure message. It seems that this is what my wife saw when she was driving behind me - she said that the first blink of the turn light was somehow different, but then it blinked as it should. It seems that the control unit detected some problem with the turn light, first switched to the backup, but then again switched to the standard turn light and the failure message was still displayed.

- The wire of the LED turn light that I was disconecting seemed a bit "free", so I pushed the pins a little bit, so now it holds mre firmly. I will see whether this was the problem, so far it works.