CLS 350 Engine Warning light problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
CLS 350 Engine Warning light problems

Hi All

Would welcome feedback. My wife bought a CLS350 (2005) in December from a local non-MB garage. A few days later the engine warning light came on. Rang the selling garage and they fobbed it off to their warranty, which isnt worth much so was a dead end. Took the car to my local MB garage in Cheltenham who I have dealt with for 20 years. Very helpful, checked the car and said the problem was with the Balance Shaft. After some research, I learnt that MB garage in Lincoln had carried out Balance Shaft replacement the previous month under MB warranty and then sent the car to an auction. Managed to get hold of their internal Warranty Invoice detailing the repair. MB Cheltenham said that the work was not done properly and the current fault was down to bad workmanship. Contacted MB Lincoln and their Service Manager said to drive the car for 1000/1500 miles and the repair would settle in and it would be fine. If not they will take the car in and get it sorted. So I have been driving the car with the warning light on and for all purposes it drives beautifully, except for the small oil leak and minor vibrations when stationary. Anyway contacted MB Lincoln again today to say the problem persists and would they have a look at it. All of a sudden they have done an about face and now decline to remedy their bad workmanship saying they disposed of the car and will not be held liable for their workmanship. Contacted MB UK customer service who came back and agreed with MB Lincolns stance.

So now, my wife is left with a potential huge repair bill for warranty work that an authorised dealer carried out badly. My local MB dealer has said they will remedy the problem but obviously we will have to pay for the work, which from reading on this forum could run in to thousands of £'s.

Yes the car was bought from a non-MB dealer but surely, MB should cover bad workmanship by one of their authorised dealerships. Any of you learned people able to advise as to what if any options we have left open other than paying for the repair ourselves.

Thanks in Advance.
PJ