CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Uneven Rear-wheel wear, not alignment issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ML63 AMG Obsidian Black
Uneven Rear-wheel wear, not alignment issue

2009 CLS550 with the factory 5split-spoke rims (see image).
These are 245 in front, 275 rear. I purchased Michelin PSS last summer and have noticed the outside of the tire has worn out in less than 10k miles while the inside is normal wear. I've had the car aligned but the issue remains. I do notice the car has a wavering-tracking feeling when I have the staggered setup on the car. (winter rims are 245 all around with no issue). This to me always seemed strange to have this constant bobble-head feeling in the rear of the car and from forum posts and discussions it seems this is normal. This is NOT normal, and it is exaggerated due to the airmatic suspension, but still not normal just because of the staggered setup.
After finally finding a very knowledgable mechanic who's been in the tire business for 30 years and worked with MB's for the same amount of time, it's his opinion the Offset is wrong from the factory. You can physically tell the weight of the car is on the outside of the rims, causing the premature wear.
His suggestion was to simply get same size rims on all 4 corners and get a wider tire if you want the staggered look.

That all said, does anyone else have the same issue with rear wear on this particular rim? Do you notice the same "tracking" in the rear (as if the car is in a groove on the road) and do you notice it go away with same size rims all around? Any suggestions on this offset issue? I don't want to get new rims, I will use my winter rims with summer rubber if needed.

Cheers.

http://adm2372nmisterious.wikispaces...76/CLS2009.jpg