CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Car shutting off while driving.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 02:35 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Car shutting off while driving.

This is an issue that had first started out very rarely and intermittently at first was thoguht to be the battery or alternator because the car would occasionally have starting issues and these long cranks about the same time as putting in a big amp that I thoguht may have been sucking the battery. I have since removed the amp and all components and the problem has progressed to the point where the car will simply stop running while I am driving. I've let it sit on those occasions (in the middle of a mcdonalds drive through on one occasion) and eventually the car will start up again. I've been reading up on this and thought it must be the crankshaft position sensor and ordered the part got ready to install it but noticed that one of the air intakes to the engine was not fully attached.. Could this be the problem? It has a big enough gap to let a great deal of air escape and i've read that in some cars that they can shut the engine off if this is the case. Could this be the source of my problem or should I still put in this new cps? I have since reattached the air intake and drove it around for a while got gas did a few things and had no starting issues since but am scared to drive the car anywhere publicly at this point as it has stopped on me about four times so far.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:29 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2007 cls550
Also read up on the cam position sensor. I replaced all 3 (there were two of one and one of the other but I cannot recall which was cam or crank) on a BMW for maintenance and starting issues on high mileage. Expensive but fixed it.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
I had this issue with my 2004 Infiniti M45 at around 200,000 miles. Crankshaft position sensor was the culprit. It was intermittent but progressively got worse. I ignored it the first & second time it happened. I was taking it to the dealer when the 3rd time happened and it wasn't fun... car crapped out in the middle of a large shopping mall....right dead center in the entrance drive. Eventually got the beast restarted and to the dealer. Sensor was replaced and the car's still happy to this day.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:57 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by BeachBunny
I had this issue with my 2004 Infiniti M45 at around 200,000 miles. Crankshaft position sensor was the culprit. It was intermittent but progressively got worse. I ignored it the first & second time it happened. I was taking it to the dealer when the 3rd time happened and it wasn't fun... car crapped out in the middle of a large shopping mall....right dead center in the entrance drive. Eventually got the beast restarted and to the dealer. Sensor was replaced and the car's still happy to this day.
Yea it ended up being the crankshaft position sensor. My car literally died right before entering the left turn area in the intersection before one of my less economical mechanics. I was able to restart it and quickly drove right to his shop. Ended up having to pay for some "special amg" cps's 120 seemed like a crock of bull when the bosh is like 40 off amazon but my hands were somewhat tied in this situation. I'd be curious no know if there are infact better quality cps's that cost that much or if I should just delete this mechanic off my phone contacts.
Old 12-24-2015, 10:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,421 Likes on 3,147 Posts
'71 Pinto
OEM part # 0031532828
Attached Thumbnails Car shutting off while driving.-capture.jpg  
Old 12-24-2015, 02:36 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by konigstiger
OEM part # 0031532828
Guess he ended up giving me the genuine mercedes part... is this a part that really needs to be genuine mercedes I can't imagine much difference in functionality between this $140 and the oem bosh for 40 bucks.