Owning CLS W219

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2016 | 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 320CDI
Question Owning CLS W219

Hello everyone

Just wanted to ask you for your experience and opinion about owning CLS W219.

I own 320CDi 2006 75k millage for last 3 years (regular suspension, no airmatic) and are at the point when I find myself with two options. First make a long term commitment and stay with a car (as i love the look and can forgive painful lack of folding rear seats) and other sell it and buy let’s say Suzuki Grand Vitara.

I’d like to find out from you, what type of repairs did you make and what went wrong in your cars in similar age/milage so I can calculate what is statistically ahead of me and make a decision.

I guess there is a standard list of things which go wrong and let me take you these which I ticked off already. I exclude services and things like break pads etc.

I fixed:
1. Front coil spring
2. Coil spring (replaced before I bought the car - not sure which one)
3. Plugs relay
4. I replaced the seals next to turbo - these which case leak of oil into shutter motor and puts car in limbo mode.
5. Rear parking sensor
6. Squeaky noise from front right wheel (injection of WD40 into a seal helped)

I did not fixed
1. the rear window defroster (fuse OK and apparently it’s the fault of cables / connect which melted in fuse box in the boot)
2. front parking sensor (problem in rainy days - apparently would need to remove whole bumper)
3. Squeaking plastic cover for the pocket between gearbox and 6xCD loader - do not make a single noise when open

First symptoms:
1. This winter in cold condition I had on several occasions EPS malfunction error.
2. When turning a wheels and reversing there is a loud knock sound heard from front right suspension. As well when driving for longer and then breaking on slow speed sort of rusty noise can be heard.
3. During hot days, left front window doesn’t want to close - goes to the top and moves down half way - i can still close it with small steps.
4. from time to time passenger mirror do not fold (gently punch helps) or driver mirror do not unfold automatically.
5. From day one the gearbox especially when cold can be jerky or very early stuck on one gear. (But I am not that bothered with it - dealer changed the oil before my purchase and that could be an issue - I know that changing it again can help)

So, what’s yours and what age/millage they appeared? What are the common issues which I did not list here and if there are any precautions to prevent them?

Again, it's now 10 years old car and I feel like it's really a time to decide what next. I love the way it looks and drives (for me of course, not racing driver). Even if I would sell it - next car would need to cost max - merc sell ££ + maybe 15% extra so not that many great cars around for that cash.

cheers guys
have a good day
G.

Last edited by Gregor_; 04-20-2016 at 08:26 AM.