CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

ESP Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2017 | 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes cls550
ESP Light

I have a 2007 CLS550. The car is garage kept. I put very little mileage on this car. It currently has 53000 miles.
About a month ago the "ESP not available" light came on and then went off. It did this a few times. I did some research and found that low battery voltage can cause the ESP light to come on. I charged the battery and the light has not come on since. I took the car to AAA to get an inspection after I charged the battery and was told there are no codes for the ESP light and charging the battery must have resolved the situation. (AAA assured me it had the necessary diagnostic equipment to test the ESP system and read codes.) I then had a check engine light come on. I then took the car to a Mercedes dealer for the check engine light and was told I need new spark plugs to resolve the code. I was also told that there was an old ESP code in the system and that Mercedes was recommending that I replace the "steering control module with steering angle sensor." I am wondering whether I really need that sensor and module. The ESP light has not come on and the car is running great. Has anyone had any similar experience? Does anyone know where the module and sensor are located, and if so can I change then myself? Mercedes wanted $600 to change the these items.Your help is greatly appreciated.
John S.
Old 04-18-2017 | 08:27 AM
Out Of Control!!
Veteran: Army

Received 1,062 Likes on 982 Posts
1999 E300TD
Nope not a DIY without the diagnostic tools-----assuming they cleared the faults, your good to go till the next time whenever the next time comes around--but remember you own a ten year old MB, get a second job or sell the car!
Old 05-08-2017 | 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by mbjg0788
I have a 2007 CLS550. The car is garage kept. I put very little mileage on this car. It currently has 53000 miles.
About a month ago the "ESP not available" light came on and then went off. It did this a few times. I did some research and found that low battery voltage can cause the ESP light to come on. I charged the battery and the light has not come on since. I took the car to AAA to get an inspection after I charged the battery and was told there are no codes for the ESP light and charging the battery must have resolved the situation. (AAA assured me it had the necessary diagnostic equipment to test the ESP system and read codes.) I then had a check engine light come on. I then took the car to a Mercedes dealer for the check engine light and was told I need new spark plugs to resolve the code. I was also told that there was an old ESP code in the system and that Mercedes was recommending that I replace the "steering control module with steering angle sensor." I am wondering whether I really need that sensor and module. The ESP light has not come on and the car is running great. Has anyone had any similar experience? Does anyone know where the module and sensor are located, and if so can I change then myself? Mercedes wanted $600 to change the these items.Your help is greatly appreciated.
John S.
Did you just get an alignment?? If so, then then the "ESP Malfunction" message will come on if the technician did NOT straighten the steering wheel. The computer picks up a bad steering angle and that trips the warning message. If you use the MB Carsoft reader I think the code is c1170 or something like that.

I have two mercedes cars and a I get each aligned about 4 times a year. Invariably there is some lazy tech that doesn't get the steering wheel straight and then the message comes up.

I immediately tell them it is the steering angle, they straighten it, and the message goes away!! I cant even imagine the lies and/or misinformation I would get if I didn't know what was going on with the steering angle.

Feel free to PM me if you want more details