I painted the wheels on my cls500 and they look really good

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
I painted the wheels on my cls500 and they look really good

Recently I bought a pristine cls500, but the wheels had seen better days. After considering several options, I decided to try to paint the wheels. They were in such bad shape that there was not too much to lose.

I was skeptical about painting wheels effectively DIY. After reading the five star reviews on Amazon about VHT black satin wheel paint, I took the plunge and decided to take on the project.

After much research on how to painting wheels, I thoroughly prepped my wheels and vigorously sanded to remove the clear coat (to avoid orange peel later on). Next I applied the first light coat of paint. It went on beautifully, with no dripping whatsoever. I continued to add 3 or 4 more light coats.

After allowing to dry overnight, I went to check out my work. To my surprise the wheels came out flawless, and really looked like they were brand new/professionally done. The finish with this paint is a true satin- not too glossy and not too flat. It is a wonderful color and finish. Attached are some pics, but they really don't do justice.

Never again will I plastidip. Only time will tell if the paint will hold up, but initial quality is outstanding.

Once I have completed painting all 4 wheels and have them mounted on the car I will most before and after pics..

Car with crappy boring silver wheels

Close up of crappy wheel

Pic of painted wheel

Notice the sheen

pefect
Old 05-12-2017, 02:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 320 CDI
They look really good mate. As you say, you had nothing to lose if they weren't in great shape to start. What about some kind of lacquer or sprayed clear-coat to protect the finish? I'm sure this came in a lot cheaper than mine. As they were also in bad shape when I brought my CLS, but with kerb scrapes too I had to get them professionally factory refurbished. It was expensive around £500 ($650), but they've done a good job.

It'll be good to see a shot of them once they are back on the car.

Last edited by jasmart; 05-12-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I fear by adding a clear coat the finished product will look different or not as beautiful. Also if I need to repaint or touch up, the clear coat has to be removed which is a big pain. The wheel in the pic was for practice, and I did maybe five coats. For the remaining 3 wheels I will likely do several more coats, especially around the wheel bolt holes, as the nicked a bit when I out the wheel on. More pics to come! The entire project is about $100 max
Old 05-13-2017, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 320 CDI
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
I fear by adding a clear coat the finished product will look different or not as beautiful. Also if I need to repaint or touch up, the clear coat has to be removed which is a big pain. The wheel in the pic was for practice, and I did maybe five coats. For the remaining 3 wheels I will likely do several more coats, especially around the wheel bolt holes, as the nicked a bit when I out the wheel on. More pics to come! The entire project is about $100 max
Yep, that makes sense, and certainly a bargain.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550

Old 05-17-2017, 07:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
more pics

Gold caliper decal

Just a baseline pic for comparison

​​​​​​​
Old 05-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 CLS550
I plastic-dip painted my winter wagon wheels for my Corvette. They held up surprisingly well. I really like the look of the black / silver contrast. Nice job.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by mschamberger
I plastic-dip painted my winter wagon wheels for my Corvette. They held up surprisingly well. I really like the look of the black / silver contrast. Nice job.
Thanks! My car is "cashmeire/tan" so the contrast with black is dramatic. Next step rotors! more to come!
Old 05-18-2017, 09:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 CLS550
Thanks! My car is "cashmeire/tan" so the contrast with black is dramatic. Next step rotors! more to come!

Old 05-18-2017, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by mschamberger
​​​​​​​that's one sexy Corvette! I like how you used silver center caps to contract the black!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
I actually plastidipped my cls wheels black a long time ago to see if I wanted to paint them and it's been over a year and still haven't taken the plastidip off lol... not sure why I took this pic in the elevated mode should have been in sport 1 or something. But I like the look of these wheels in black the gloss paint even better.. motivated me to go get it done. I agree I wouldn't clearcoat them either.

Last edited by Dnasty; 05-18-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Dnasty
I actually plastidipped my cls wheels black a long time ago to see if I wanted to paint them and it's been over a year and still haven't taken the plastidip off lol... not sure why I took this pic in the elevated mode should have been in sport 1 or something. But I like the look of these wheels in black the gloss paint even better.. motivated me to go get it done. I agree I wouldn't clearcoat them either.

Hey Buddy you did a really great job with your wheels! How did you get the plastidip so glossy? I also noticed you chose to paint over your center caps?

I found that when I put my center caps back in after painting the wheel paint would get scratched! Arg! So painting with these on the vehicle is a good idea, as long as you like the look. I wanted the black silver contrast, so I didn't paint over them.

I also had some scratches when putting wheel bolts back in. In order to avoid scratches, I wrapped the 17mm long socket with soft tape and no more scratching. I also bought this soft socket set:

To reconcile the center cap scratching, I bought RAISED center caps so I could effectively tape them off when I paint. I'll be doing one more coat soon as soon as I get started on my brakes, and will post pics. Here are the raised caps I bought:

Given that the wheels seem to scratch easily, I may actually do a clear coat. I'm not so sure because having a clear coat would make touch ups later I may apply for a final coat,

It is really frustrating that there was some chipping of the paint when I installed center caps and wheel bolts! However I look at this as an opportunity to learn a new skill.

Never again do I have to put up with old, crappy, curb-rashed wheels.

In fact, the other day I drove my CLS to work and got a massive curb rash.

I wasn't too worried because I was going to re-coat the wheel anyway and knew I could bondo to repair the wheel. Here is a video on how to repair curb rash

Old 05-21-2017, 01:36 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Yea I was going for the blacked out look at the time... the plastidip has held up so well I just never got around to painting them. The gloss is from some product they make called glossifier you put on after the plastidip but it is somewhat obvious in person luckily it fades over time so mine don't have that sheen now it's more of a satin look.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
You did a great job on your car! Have you done any other mods?
Old 05-24-2017, 07:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
New slotted and drilled rotors..

Just finished one wheel with slotted and drilled rotor, along with pads, painted caliper and decal. Before and after pics, but probably don't do justice:

Old, rusted rotor and crappy caloper

New rotor and painted caliper with decal
Old 05-25-2017, 02:28 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Looks sick, its funny I'm pretty sure I have those same rotors I just installed that kit on my front end and it stops great. Also was curious what size tires you were running and could we see another angle of the center caps I may do that upgrade now since it's so quick and easy.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Hey Buddy, I don't recall the tire size except that it was OE. The center cap upgrade is nice, and I would highly recommend.

The rotors of pads were purchased off of Ebay from a company called 'Brake-Motive". I was hesitant to buy so cheap, but I looked at a number of positive reviews on the internet so I thought I would give them a try. Last night I test drove upgraded front rotors and pads, and initial quality seems outstanding. I'm hoping they really are coated with zinc-oxide, as the manufacturer suggests, to avoid rust. If they do start to rust, I will paint them!

Also, if anyone wants to know how to get old, rusted rotors off your car, here is the method!!!

Front and rear rotors and pads from ebay $199 shipped. Initial impressions are outstanding, time will tell if the pads make noise or rotors rust.<br/>

Just a note on compressing the brake pistons- at first I compressed the pistons with the rotor on the vehicle and it was a pain in the butt. Then when I went to do the other wheel, I decided to take off rotor first which made compressing the piston A LOT easier. I also found a tool on eBay which looks like you can just compress the piston with the caliper on the rotor, which would make even easier but I have yet to use.

Tool to compress pistons while caliper still on vehicle.

Last edited by LexBrett2; 05-25-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:55 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Hey Buddy, I don't recall the tire size except that it was OE. The center cap upgrade is nice, and I would highly recommend.

The rotors of pads were purchased off of Ebay from a company called 'Brake-Motive". I was hesitant to buy so cheap, but I looked at a number of positive reviews on the internet so I thought I would give them a try. Last night I test drove upgraded front rotors and pads, and initial quality seems outstanding. I'm hoping they really are coated with zinc-oxide, as the manufacturer suggests, to avoid rust. If they do start to rust, I will paint them!

Also, if anyone wants to know how to get old, rusted rotors off your car, here is the method!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtsTJCRljAs

Front and rear rotors and pads from ebay $199 shipped. Initial impressions are outstanding, time will tell if the pads make noise or rotors rust.<br/>

Just a note on compressing the brake pistons- at first I compressed the pistons with the rotor on the vehicle and it was a pain in the butt. Then when I went to do the other wheel, I decided to take off rotor first which made compressing the piston A LOT easier. I also found a tool on eBay which looks like you can just compress the piston with the caliper on the rotor, which would make even easier but I have yet to use.

Tool to compress pistons while caliper still on vehicle.
Yea I ordered my set of amazon a brand called "power stop" looks just like your with the ceramic pads split down the middle and the vent and drill zinc coated rotor same exact pattern and design. I had paid about 200 just for the front though. $200 for front and back is a really good deal. Did the rotor come with a predrilled hole for the mercedes torx screw?
Old 05-26-2017, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Yea I ordered my set of amazon a brand called "power stop" looks just like your with the ceramic pads split down the middle and the vent and drill zinc coated rotor same exact pattern and design. I had paid about 200 just for the front though. $200 for front and back is a really good deal. Did the rotor come with a predrilled hole for the mercedes torx screw?
Yep, the rotors are an exact OE match; pre-drilled hole for mercedes torx screw present and worked great (what a pain the little screw can be to get off).

Went for a test drive the other night an no noise at all and stopping seemed good.

If they start making noise or rust I will be disappointed, but so far so good. This weekend I am going to do the rear!
Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Yep, the rotors are an exact OE match; pre-drilled hole for mercedes torx screw present and worked great (what a pain the little screw can be to get off).

Went for a test drive the other night an no noise at all and stopping seemed good.

If they start making noise or rust I will be disappointed, but so far so good. This weekend I am going to do the rear!
Hows it going with the wheels man. Did you end up applying the clear coat?
I just got new tires put on and it's definitely time for me to take care of the plastidip thinking of painting them gloss black with vht.

btw did you sand the wheels down before you painted them?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Hows it going with the wheels man. Did you end up applying the clear coat?
I just got new tires put on and it's definitely time for me to take care of the plastidip thinking of painting them gloss black with vht.

btw did you sand the wheels down before you painted them?
Hey Buddy,
Yes I sanded the wheels. And sanded and sanded and sanded. From my online research, I found it is necessary to remove the clear coat from sanding otherwise there would be orange peel.

I haven't applied the clear coat, but I might experiment and put clear coat and then a layer of VHT on time (for added durability). The VHT satin finish is remarkable, but it chips easily.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:44 PM

2010 e550 coupe
Hey Buddy,
Yes I sanded the wheels. And sanded and sanded and sanded. From my online research, I found it is necessary to remove the clear coat from sanding otherwise there would be orange peel.

I haven't applied the clear coat, but I might experiment and put clear coat and then a layer of VHT on time (for added durability). The VHT satin finish is remarkable, but it chips easily.
Yea I've read that the vht in general has chipping issues, you will definitely want to use the clear coat. I spoke with someone who said that engine paint worked better for him on painting his wheels.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
What kind of engine paint would you suggest?
Old 06-13-2017, 09:28 AM

2010 e550 coupe
What kind of engine paint would you suggest?
Well wasn't really my suggestion but the guy had mentioned rustoleum engine paint, Probably due to the higher heat temperature. But you should probably be fine with just a good clear coating after you apply the wheel paint. I've never used anything other then rustoleum to paint and im a pretty novice painter so my opinion is pretty narrow on the subject.

Was curious did you paint your wheels while still on the car or did you take them off first?

Also make any headway with the exhaust mods?
Old 06-14-2017, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Hi Dnasty,
It just occurred to me that probably the most durable paint is caliper paint. It is tough as nails. Next time I remove my wheels I may try a couple coats and then a final coat with VHT..

TAKE OFF WHEELS BEFORE YOU PAINT. Otherwise a big disaster and waste of time will ensue. Dripping, overspray, and just a general big mess.

Yesterday I went to get my magnaflow mufflers put on, Midas said they would not fit - even though the previousely gave me specs for the correct size which I bought.

I also went to another mechanic who said to leave alone the exhaust. He put a stethoscope in the tailpipe and saw no restriction, so removing components would not reduce backpressure or increase power.

The only viable mods seem to be a resonator delete and/or second cat delete, which my not do much and is not cheap. So I may leave it alone.