Another Exhaust Build Thread..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Another Exhaust Build Thread..

I'm a new CLS500 owner and I am brainstorming options on how to update exhaust. I totally love the car although it is too quiet for my tastes.

After extensive reading about what others have done, I have some ideas.
First, here is a diagram that lays out our exhaust,

Number 9 is the reasonator, and number 5 are the secondary cats. Number is the muffler.

First, delete the big center reasonator (number 9) for a magnaflow x-pipe and delete the pair of secondary cats (number 5).

Install a pair of high flow straight through mufflers (number 10). I have magnaflows on my w203 and absolutely love them, and yes they sure do increase the power noticeably.

Questions/comments/critisisms are welcomed!!
Old 05-21-2017, 01:31 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
This post couldn't have came more in time for me at least. I've been exploring the exhaust myself and have only done the resonator delete so far... I straight piped it because the guy at the muffler place told me I wouldn't be able to hear a difference if I just x piped it. The difference is very small either way (while still noticeable when you gun it at low revs).

I'm in california so I can't really delete the secondary cats but i've heard to look into some high flow cats that are ca legal. Any tips on that would be greatly appreciated.

And that muffler is another thing i've been looking at. I somehow was leaning towards flowmaster given the sound i've heard on many of the youtubes with similar engine but don't have much experience with magnaflow.
I was looking at the flowmaster super 44. or the dbx series. But it's kind of hard to select components as I don't see to many of these engines with modified exhaust work. It would be awesome to hear some if anyone has done so.
The following users liked this post:
LexBrett2 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I have a Magnaflow on my w203 and it sounds amazing. It is a straight through design with absolutely no baffle or restriction. The increase in power was immediately noticeable. Without a doubt, a Magnaflow will go on my cls. Just look for a straight through performance Magnaflow; I don't think the model number matters.

There are a lot of high flow cats available on the market. If it were me, I would definitely go with a Magnaflow.

I'm so surprised that the resonator delete did nothing to improve power or sound. I have read lots of posts on this forum saying otherwise. Would you please explain further your experience with the resonator delete?
Old 05-23-2017, 01:35 AM

2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
I have a Magnaflow on my w203 and it sounds amazing. It is a straight through design with absolutely no baffle or restriction. The increase in power was immediately noticeable. Without a doubt, a Magnaflow will go on my cls. Just look for a straight through performance Magnaflow; I don't think the model number matters.

There are a lot of high flow cats available on the market. If it were me, I would definitely go with a Magnaflow.

I'm so surprised that the resonator delete did nothing to improve power or sound. I have read lots of posts on this forum saying otherwise. Would you please explain further your experience with the resonator delete?
Well the resonator delete may have improved power but it is so miniscule i can't tell and also I believe backpressure is a common issue when you do this delete (and that is noticeable). . Sound is definitely noticeable but only if I stomp on the peddle at idle or low rpms and even then it's nothing really to write home about. But with the factory muffler still on I can't complain. I pretty much knew this going into it that the resonator delete was probably the cheapest exhaust mod you can do and wasn't expecting it to roar but it has got me wanting more.

As far as the cats.. I know there are plenty unfortunately I live in california which has very strict emission standards. I've been looking and literally all of them say "high flow cat (ca excluded)"... looking for one that actually would allow me to pass smog out here is a bit difficult. But I believe these 3 are the major components that need to be changed to get a good exhaust sound out of these engines. I know the magnaflow is known for their straight through design and the flowmaster has a baffled setup that is supposed to give a more "tuned" sound so i've kind of been on the fence on which way to go. I may take it to a muffler shop I know just for an opinion.

Last edited by Dnasty; 05-23-2017 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I you delete the secondary cats, how would anyone ever know? These are after the O2 sensors.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 AM

2010 e550 coupe
It's been a minute since i've had a smog done but I have one coming up and I believe they do a visual inspection in CA so it's pretty obvious.. that in combination with the loud noise.. assuming it passes the emissions machine in the first place. I've heard of people failing because of a k&n filter lol..
Old 05-23-2017, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Dnasty
It's been a minute since i've had a smog done but I have one coming up and I believe they do a visual inspection in CA so it's pretty obvious.. that in combination with the loud noise.. assuming it passes the emissions machine in the first place. I've heard of people failing because of a k&n filter lol..
Wow that's awful.
For non-CARB states all they do is plug in OBDII reader..
Old 06-14-2017, 07:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Yesterday I went to get my magnaflow mufflers put on, Midas said they would NOT fit - even though the previously gave me specs for the correct size which I bought.

I also went to another mechanic who said to LEAVE ALONE the exhaust. He put a stethoscope in the tailpipe and saw no restriction, so removing components would not reduce backpressure or increase power.

The only viable mods seem to be a resonator delete and/or second cat delete, which my not do much and is not cheap. So I may leave it alone.

Honestly the best thing you can do for this car is get a sprintbooster. It is completely reversible and is a night and day difference in throttle response. I have been running SB on my past 3 cars. Last night I bought SB v3, hoping that it is even better than v2.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
MY w203 exhaust video see link too loud I dont want this!!!

[QUOTE=LexBrett2;7153784]I'm a new CLS500 owner and I am https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...magnaflow.html
Old 06-15-2017, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Put on AMG muffler, x-pipe, second cat delete

Hi All,
After my recent challenges getting a magnaflow muffler installed, I thought maybe I could install some AMG mufflers instead. They are not too expensive on ebay. Here are a pair from an '07 that looks like they would fit my '06

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMG-REAR-LEF...dZFLLx&vxp=mtr

Also, in terms of straight pipe versus x pipe with the resonator delete-- some are saying the straight pipe losers low end power. IS this correct or just gossip? General concensus with the straight pipe is that it is louder compared to the x-pipe, but the x-pipe serves some function balancing the exhaust??

Anyone? Anyone out there listening??
Old 06-15-2017, 11:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Straight Pipes and Second Cat Delete will make you lose low end power!!

After researching for several weeks, I'm going to conclude that putting a straight pipe in place of the resonator WILL cause a noticeable drop in low end power. Same goes for second cat delete. Although deleting these items will creating a better sound, at least for me the loss in low end power is not acceptable!

I'm leaning toward the resonator delete with x-pipe. Since the resonator already has an x-pipe inside, and there is no restriction, I assume that the delete will have zero effect on performance and only on sound.

As for mufflers, I'm not sure what or what not to do. At the moment I'm research putting AMG mufflers on...

Thoughts anyone?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
This weekend I got my resonator deleted and chose to go with straight pipes. It is awesome! The sound that is produced is a deep rumble coming from the belly of the car. Cabin is still completely quiet with windows up, but on full acceleration you can hear it nicely... I will try to get a video!!