Door Window drop feature

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 12:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 CLS550
Door Window drop feature

Hi,
I read it in the owners manual but can't now.
That feature that drops the door windows @ .50" when the door is opened stopped working on my left rear door. Turned out to be the door switch in the jamb was dirty. I cleaned it with Wurth contact cleaner and a cotton swab. Back to normal.
But, where did I read about that and I recall it had something to do with relief of internal cabin pressure?

Rick
Old 08-02-2017, 02:40 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-

Last edited by shadenfroh; 12-26-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by rick hesek
Hi,
I read it in the owners manual but can't now.
That feature that drops the door windows @ .50" when the door is opened stopped working on my left rear door. Turned out to be the door switch in the jamb was dirty. I cleaned it with Wurth contact cleaner and a cotton swab. Back to normal.
But, where did I read about that and I recall it had something to do with relief of internal cabin pressure?

Rick
Maybe it has something to do with the window operation auto syncing feature? Every time you disconnect the battery the windows must be synchronized or really weird stuff happens. It is in the owners manual.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 CLS550
Answer:
In the coupe, the doors do not frame the glass on all sides as do the sedans. The weather seal at the upper edge is installed in the door opening. The weather seal is a "U" shape that the glass fits into, when closed. The window has to drop down, before, or while, opening the door in order for the glass to clear the weather seal.
The window closes when the door is closed and fits into the weather seal. Otherwise the glass would be stressed and the weather seal could take a set, over time.
This feature is independent of window synchronization. It also has nothing to do with lubrication.

Rick H