Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Sensotronic Brakes WTF? Bled brakes

Hi All,

I really do love my W219 CLS, but I really do now understand why some say these cars are over-engineered.

First, Airmatic Suspensions is its own devil which I won't even get into. I have bothered you all enough with my rants on Airmatic.

Now, this weekend I bled my brakes with a Mityvac pump. Aside from possibly getting a little air in the system (was just getting through a learning curve with Mityvac Pump), everything went fine.

Sucked a lot of old dark/old fluid out and put back Mercedes amber dot 4 fluid. I couldn't find the blue fluid. Apparently, the blue fluid is illegal. Smh...

Then later I stumbled onto a web page that talked about Sensotronic Brakes. Electric brakes? Second battery? No Brake Booster? STAR controlled? Wha- What??

All of this is news to me, but glad I know I need to check the secondary battery. Just by blind luck, I had the SBC system was switched off while I did the work (I think)...

Today on my drive to work the brakes felt great. Perhaps it was just in my head, but the braking was a bit firmer. There was a slight squeal at first, but that went away, and I believe that is due to the air that may have got in the lines. I will redo and get the air out.

Apparently, it is fine that I did the manual brake bleed. I didn't get any warning lights and my drive to work was great.

Here is one post that indicated the manual method with the pump is fine:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...an-done-w.html

Anyone have any suggestions or comments? Thanks in advance -Lex

Last edited by LexBrett2; 08-14-2017 at 02:45 PM.