CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Bled SBC with Mityvac but cannot get air out what am I missing??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Bled SBC with Mityvac but cannot get air out what am I missing??

Dear Friends,

This weekend I bled my rear brakes with a Mityvac, but couldn't get all the air out of the lines. I sucked out almost 1.5 liters of fluid, but a continuous flow of small air bubbles still remain.

Any thoughts on what I have had done wrong??

FYI, I did exhaustive internet research before I did the job, turned "off" SBC by allowing the car to sleep before doing the job, etc.

Tips or suggestions to other threads I may have missed would be much appreciated!!
Old 08-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Ideally STAR should be used, this may help https://mbstardiagnosis.wordpress.co...g-brake-fluid/
Old 08-21-2017, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Ideally STAR should be used, this may help https://mbstardiagnosis.wordpress.co...g-brake-fluid/
Thanks so much for your response. I see that the Motive Power Bleeder pressurizes the reservoir, and I assume that is what forces out the fluid.

Perhaps this method is better than the Mityvac method to just suck out the fluid at the caliper nipple? And therefore better getting the air out??
Old 08-21-2017, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Thanks so much for your response. I see that the Motive Power Bleeder pressurizes the reservoir, and I assume that is what forces out the fluid.

Perhaps this method is better than the Mityvac method to just suck out the fluid at the caliper nipple? And therefore better getting the air out??
Old 09-05-2017, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Dear Friends,

This weekend I bled my rear brakes with a Mityvac, but couldn't get all the air out of the lines. I sucked out almost 1.5 liters of fluid, but a continuous flow of small air bubbles still remain.

Any thoughts on what I have had done wrong??

FYI, I did exhaustive internet research before I did the job, turned "off" SBC by allowing the car to sleep before doing the job, etc.

Tips or suggestions to other threads I may have missed would be much appreciated!!
I just wanted to close this thread; I did end up getting all the air bubbles out by applying heavy grease to the bleeder nipple. Turns out the air was coming from the gap between the bleeder nipple and the caliper. Suction method seemed to work fine for me.