CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Is my brand new ball joint leaking grease?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Is my brand new ball joint leaking grease?

i just did most of the lower control arm components in the front of my car including the lower rear ball joint. I looked it a while back saw this clear gel looking substance and whipped it off. Looked a few weeks later and saw it again and wiped it off. Is this something to be concerned with, it only does it in one side. These are oem lemforder parts. Here is a picture of what the substance looks like.

Last edited by Dnasty; 09-07-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by Dnasty
i just did most of the lower control arm components in the front of my car including the lower rear ball joint. I looked it a while back saw this clear gel looking substance and whipped it off. Looked a few weeks later and saw it again and wiped it off. Is this something to be concerned with, it only does it in one side. These are oem lemforder parts. Here is a picture of what the substance looks like. [img]webkit-fake-url://c34a92eb-07ab-499a-ac33-eec2825975d6/imagejpeg[/img]
Wow that sucks, sorry man. Is the ball joint ripped? Where is the gel coming from?

What prompted you to change the lower control arm components and rear ball joint. Were you experiencing wheel vibration?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
2010 e550 coupe
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Wow that sucks, sorry man. Is the ball joint ripped? Where is the gel coming from?

What prompted you to change the lower control arm components and rear ball joint. Were you experiencing wheel vibration?
Yea it does suck, I'm not exactly sure what it is as I haven't removed it. But at the rate its leaking (very slow and small amount) i would guess there is a small pinhole in it. I changed them because they were bad, the car sounded like metal just clanking around when I went over bumps etc. The worst part is the issue was on the passenger side. I changed both sides to avoid having to do this again and the leak is on the drivers side ... shame on me for trying to be proactive.