CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

CLS500 back end all over the place and car sitting very low

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
CLS500 back end all over the place and car sitting very low

I had my subframe bushed replaced recently and after that the car was just never the same.

The rear end is absolutely all over the place and is very "nervous" and "skittish" for want of better words.
Also, the rear ride is now extremely harsh and has this awful sideways kick when going over even moderate bumps. On wet and slippery roads, it is impossible to keep the car straight.

Have changed the tires twice. There are no leaks or anything, but the rear DOES sit extremely low when the car is off. Comes back to normal ride height when started, but almost instantly resumes road hugger position after the doors are locked.
I did have a bit of an issue where I had to replace the rear ride height sensor as the plastic ball and socket broke off and the car just slammed itself.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by ap10046
I had my subframe bushed replaced recently and after that the car was just never the same.

The rear end is absolutely all over the place and is very "nervous" and "skittish" for want of better words.
Also, the rear ride is now extremely harsh and has this awful sideways kick when going over even moderate bumps. On wet and slippery roads, it is impossible to keep the car straight.

Have changed the tires twice. There are no leaks or anything, but the rear DOES sit extremely low when the car is off. Comes back to normal ride height when started, but almost instantly resumes road hugger position after the doors are locked.
I did have a bit of an issue where I had to replace the rear ride height sensor as the plastic ball and socket broke off and the car just slammed itself.
Is it a bad air spring? I'm sure you thought of that though. You have done lots of impressive mods on your car I see!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
How do you like the e55 mufflers? Is the sound better? What year muffler did you buy? Off ebay? Thanks!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:00 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
CLS500 M113
Hi
Thank you!
She spends more time in the shop now than on the road.
Just cannot figure this rear end malarky out.

The E55 mufflers were actually taken off a friend who upgraded to Supersprint mufflers.

They DO NOT fit well. LOL. Trust me. I have had to cut off bits of the area around the wheel well, reweld brackets, cut the tips off and make connecting pipes from the muffler to the tips.
Although the CLS55/63 mufflers look similar, they are not. The pipes bend more, the mufflers are narrower also.

As for sound, the start up is DEEEEP, but then settles down nicely to a rumble. And the sound is ungodly when you beat on the loud pedal.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by ap10046
Hi
Thank you!
She spends more time in the shop now than on the road.
Just cannot figure this rear end malarky out.

The E55 mufflers were actually taken off a friend who upgraded to Supersprint mufflers.

They DO NOT fit well. LOL. Trust me. I have had to cut off bits of the area around the wheel well, reweld brackets, cut the tips off and make connecting pipes from the muffler to the tips.
Although the CLS55/63 mufflers look similar, they are not. The pipes bend more, the mufflers are narrower also.

As for sound, the start up is DEEEEP, but then settles down nicely to a rumble. And the sound is ungodly when you beat on the loud pedal.
Looks like you have done some great mods and have a nice exhaust set up.

I see you have a second cat delete; How do you like it? I am getting my second cats deleted as well when I get around to it. But I fear I will lose low-end torque as a result of a loss in back pressure? Thoughts?