CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Ghost in the Machine.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2019 E450
Ghost in the Machine.

Someone PLEASE help me out a bit here. I am at a complete loss.
Airmatic suspension issues. 2006 CLS500
History. Changed both front struts 2 years ago because of leaking left strut.

1 month ago came out to vehicle and back was down (more on the right, but the entire back end down). Started car and compressor would not kick on and even try to raise vehicle. Made shop appt. Next morning came out and started it and backed out of garage. Car righted itself.
Took it to MB anyway with no problems found. Fast forward 3 weeks and the car did it again. It seems a short drive tends to allow it to fix itself. This makes no sense to me. I inspected system. No leaks noted, no damage noted, rear level sensor and valve body appear normal. It could be ok for another 3 weeks, or 3 years, or 3 hours. I dont know at this point. Can someone PLEASE help me troubleshoot a little bit? I am getting the "check tire pressure alert too even though my pressures are normal and ive recalibrated a dozen times. Is this related somehow? Also, I need the true locations of the airmatic relays and part numbers if anyone has them. I've searched but come up with multiple responses and theyre different.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:23 PM

2019 E450
The only thing that I can think of is that the back right strut has failed internally and I will replace both rears.
Side note: the dash alerts must only be tied to the fronts because I get zero alerts of problems.
Old 09-25-2017, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Concerning tire warning - passive TPM measures wheel RPM through the ABS wheel speed sensors check front & rear RPM sensors. See attachment for Airmatic relay.
Attached Thumbnails Ghost in the Machine.-front.jpg   Ghost in the Machine.-rear.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Front SAM relay.pdf (24.1 KB, 133 views)
The following users liked this post:
unlukky (09-25-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM

2019 E450
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by konigstiger
Concerning tire warning - passive TPM measures wheel RPM through the ABS wheel speed sensors check front & rear RPM sensors. See attachment for Airmatic relay.
You are exactly who came to mind when I posted here. Thanks so much for the reply. Is there any way to check and see which sensor is going bad? I'd hate to shotgun all 4 of them.
On the Airmatic, its the weirdest thing ever. I am at a loss.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:58 PM

2019 E450
Also, I just got the car out of the dealer where they changed the damn SBC unit. I am wondering if a code needs to be cleared or something thats causing this. I understand I dont have TPMS in the classic sense. Rather the car reads wheel revolutions to detect tire pressure differences.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:21 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Request they revisit, pull/clear codes since problem began after SBC replacement, see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails Ghost in the Machine.-capture.jpg  
Old 10-03-2017, 04:48 PM

2019 E450
So after the 10th reset of the TPMS it seems it may have stuck this time.
And as far as the suspension: It had not had another problem since, but I changed the rear air struts just in case. Now I am driving again and crossing my fingers.