Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
DIY LED Star/Grill

Hi All,
This weekend I rigged LED lights behind the star emblem on my cls500.
I think it turned out nice, not too bright and not tacky.
Here are some pics...
Old 09-15-2018, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 CLS63 AMG
This is actually pretty cool. What power source did you tap into? Any pics of the setup and link to LED you used.Any error codes?

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2018, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by armaniE55
This is actually pretty cool. What power source did you tap into? Any pics of the setup and link to LED you used.Any error codes?

Thanks!
All I did was buy an LED light for about $20 from Advance Auto and stuck it with adhesive tape inside the grill above the star. Then ran a wire into the fuse box with a fuse tap.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
Do you mind taking a pic of the inside on how your ran the wire and into the fuse box? Also can you link which LED you bought. How's it working out so far? Still good? I really want to try this MOD. Appreciate it!

Armani

Originally Posted by LexBrett2
All I did was buy an LED light for about $20 from Advance Auto and stuck it with adhesive tape inside the grill above the star. Then ran a wire into the fuse box with a fuse tap.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Hey Buddy thanks for the interest.

I just bought a little $10 LED light from Advance Auto (also many are sold at Walmart). Any bright led light sold in the auto section should work, it just needs to be bright enough and be in a shape or design a zip tie to could be used. The one I bought was ironically designed for a trailer hitch and was a square shape. There a flat above the star that the led light stuck to flush. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I just stuck it on there using the included double sided tape, but it holds very firmly.

You'll just have to poke around to find a spot. Then use a zip tie or something similar to hold it down firmly. Next I used some 18 gauge wire and slopped it over the car and tucked it in anywhere possible (mostly where the hood meets the body of car). Then I just got a fuse tap and plugged it in, which makes this job really easy. I cannot really take pics because everything is tucked away.

The LED light I installed 6 months ago is holding up great. It is not super bright, but it adds a nice glow to the front grill and star. Hope this helps!!

Last edited by LexBrett2; 11-02-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CLS63 AMG
It does! thank you for the quick reply!

Armani

Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Hey Buddy thanks for the interest.

I just bought a little $10 LED light from Advance Auto (also many are sold at Walmart). Any bright led light sold in the auto section should work, it just needs to be bright enough and be in a shape or design a zip tie to could be used. The one I bought was ironically designed for a trailer hitch and was a square shape. There a flat above the star that the led light stuck to flush. I'm a little embarrassed to say that I just stuck it on there using the included double sided tape, but it holds very firmly.

You'll just have to poke around to find a spot. Then use a zip tie or something similar to hold it down firmly. Next I used some 18 gauge wire and slopped it over the car and tucked it in anywhere possible (mostly where the hood meets the body of car). Then I just got a fuse tap and plugged it in, which makes this job really easy. I cannot really take pics because everything is tucked away.

The LED light I installed 6 months ago is holding up great. It is not super bright, but it adds a nice glow to the front grill and star. Hope this helps!!