CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Installed front camber bolts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:22 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2007 cls550
Installed front camber bolts

2007 CLS550, Front Michelin Super Sports 19" at only 17k miles worn down to threads on inside edge although the rest of the tread is good. I started researching options and decided to start with the Mercedes OEM optional fixed camber adjustment bolts. I ordered online for half of dealer price. Bolts only work on front (Rear is not adjustable). There are slots in the new bolts so the adjustment is fixed something like .3 in or .3 out.

Installation was surprisingly easy. Brace rear tires, jack up from front jack point, put jackstands on sides, remove tires and underbody pans, remove wheel liners, remove one bolt at a time on lower control arm, insert screwdriver as leverage to shift arm inward about 1/4" trying to hold in line. Did not need jack under suspension. The arms have an oval hole with 4 tabs and the original bolt went in the center of the 4. Shifting arm inward exposes two of the tabs and the grooves of the new bolts allow them to slip in. This was a little difficult to understand until I saw a pic online of the arm and the 4 tabs and then it made sense. With the arm shifted inward about 1/4 the original bolts cannot fit back in as the 2 tabs are in the hole. Only the new bolts with the slots cut into them will work. Once in they cannot rotate anymore and you will visibly see the wear mark of the original bushing location on the frame and that you are now shifted back about 1/4". There is a line on the bolt head and it points directly back at the control arm when inserted properly.

Then do the same on the other arm using screwdriver to align holes and I used a clamp at one point to pull arm forward to get bolt all the way through. Locktite and new washers and nuts and all good. Could not get rachet or torque wrench on two 21mm nuts but a swivel worked nicely. 90lbs. Remember to only tighten the nuts as the bolt head side cannot be turned or the 2 tabs will strip out.

Also, I thought I had one of the bolts in properly because it was in and it wouldn't turn but when inspecting the marks of the bushings in the frame they looked to be almost in the original location. The others were visibly moved back about 1/4" as I could see the circular line of the bushing's original location. I pulled the bolt out and started over and it went in properly.

Has anyone installed any of the rear camber kits like kmac bushings or upper adjustable links?
The following users liked this post:
kaotiktribe (02-14-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 05:47 PM

2007 cls550
Forgot a step, preload suspension before torqueing so have a second jack.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cls500
Ebay has these on the cheap. Much difference between those and OEM Mercedes ones as they are just bolts you think?
Old 02-14-2018, 02:27 PM

2007 cls550
I am all for saving a dollar but AutohausAZ has OEM bolts delivered to house 4 packs for $50.
I wouldn’t mess with eBay on that.
The following users liked this post:
kaotiktribe (02-15-2018)