Still slight vibration after changing Crankshaft Pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Still slight vibration after changing Crankshaft Pulley

Recently I change the crankshaft pulley on my 2006 cls500; the pulley was wobbling and making noise.
The install went well and I torqued everything down to spec, but there remains a slight wobble, perhaps a millimeter.
My belts runs perfect and there is no noise.

I'm thinking that perhaps the remaining slight vibration could be coming from somewhere else- transmission mounts, motor mounts, driveshaft flex disk.
The vibration/wobble is minor, but it still makes me wonder what I missed.

Overall the car runs excellent, there is little vibration at all in the cabin, and the idle is good (i.e., no fluctuations on rpm needle while in park).
There are no codes present.

Next time I get under my car I will take a close look at the flex disk.
Any other ideas or suggestions??
Old 04-20-2018, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by LexBrett2
Recently I change the crankshaft pulley on my 2006 cls500; the pulley was wobbling and making noise.
The install went well and I torqued everything down to spec, but there remains a slight wobble, perhaps a millimeter.
My belts runs perfect and there is no noise.

I'm thinking that perhaps the remaining slight vibration could be coming from somewhere else- transmission mounts, motor mounts, driveshaft flex disk.
The vibration/wobble is minor, but it still makes me wonder what I missed.

Overall the car runs excellent, there is little vibration at all in the cabin, and the idle is good (i.e., no fluctuations on rpm needle while in park).
There are no codes present.

Next time I get under my car I will take a close look at the flex disk.
Any other ideas or suggestions??
Well, Don't know if anyone out there is listening, but I my plan is the following:
1- Replace Corteco Pulley and get new one, it is possible it is defective or out of spec
2-Use blue locktight on the crank bolt
3-Get the exact correct torque spec by having a friend help me hold the harmonic balancer tool
Old 04-23-2018, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I replaced the crankshaft pulley again this weekend, thinking that the Corteco may have been defective. My buddy and I made sure that the torque was exactly correct, which is 147 ft lbs PLUS a quarter turn. The quarter turn is where it gets tricky and a second pair of hands is helpful. Not only does it require a great deal of force to move the breaker bat and additional quarter turn, the tool pulley tool (that keeps it from turning) tends to fall off if someone else is not there to help. I also used blue locktight so this big bolt would not be backing out of it's torque specs!

The next morning I looked at my pulley in my garage and belts while the engine was running and it looked great! No vibration and quiet. Later I looked in the daylight and there actually seemed to be a wobble present, but we later concluded it is the sunlight that makes the pulley seem to wobble. Plus the white letters on the pulley add to this effect. I'm done with this damn project and moving on to something else! Hope my write up helped someone out there!
Old 04-24-2018, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Does the light/reflection make the illusion of wobble??

SO I have changed this pulley 2 times. The second I ensured exact factory specs. When I looked at the pulley in my dark garage, it seemed to spin perfect. Then later I looked in the sunlight and it appeared to wobble. I'm now convinced that there is the reflection of the light and/or the white letters on the pulley itself creating the illusion of a wobble. Anyone else ever seen this?
Old 02-09-2022, 12:06 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
2000 C230 - 2001 E430 - 2003 E320 -
I received a private message from a user and he wanted folks to know that his solution to taking the bolt off was to use a 3/4" breaker and socket (instead of 1/2") - he said no issues with bar flexing at all. Also he used the real MB pulley since there have been a number of posts about the Corteco not perfectly fitting the holding tool. I did not run into that but I did use a wire wheel to remove any burrs from both the pulley and holder tool prior to using - nothing significant - just to the point you could safely run your finger on the edges and not get cut. So far my sons car is running great after this work (note that I did also later change the trans mount and driveshaft flex discs and then later still the motor mounts). My daughters 2001 E430 is still running good with no significant vibration issues so I have not done any of this work to her car. See this thread about the motor mounts. https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...nt-thread.html