CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

08 CLS550 Mysterious Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS550
08 CLS550 Mysterious Issue

Hello everyone , I’m having a gigantic problem with my CLS , I start the vehicle while it is cold it behaves normally , as the car reaches operating temperature it begins to turn off Cruise Control, ESP, ABS, Radio, AC and my dashboard lights up like a christmas tree and my temperature and rpm gauges completely turn off. Alternator has been changed, Battery is brand new , I used icarsoft MB II scanner and the error i get is Wheel Speed Sensor Front Axle but i really doubt a wheel speed sensor can cause all that havoc. I also checked the voltage to rule out faulty new alternator and voltages are 13.8-14 while idle. Crankshaft Position Sensor has also been replaced. I ordered both sensors from the front wheels but in a case that it does not fix it i would like to get some ideas of more experienced people here. Any advice will be truly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 CLS 500
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Vince_305
Hello everyone , I’m having a gigantic problem with my CLS , I start the vehicle while it is cold it behaves normally , as the car reaches operating temperature it begins to turn off Cruise Control, ESP, ABS, Radio, AC and my dashboard lights up like a christmas tree and my temperature and rpm gauges completely turn off. Alternator has been changed, Battery is brand new , I used icarsoft MB II scanner and the error i get is Wheel Speed Sensor Front Axle but i really doubt a wheel speed sensor can cause all that havoc. I also checked the voltage to rule out faulty new alternator and voltages are 13.8-14 while idle. Crankshaft Position Sensor has also been replaced. I ordered both sensors from the front wheels but in a case that it does not fix it i would like to get some ideas of more experienced people here. Any advice will be truly appreciated.

Thank you.
Good Day.....same problem. Yes, a malfunctioning wheel speed sensor can wreak havoc like you described. Changed for under $150.00 (Canadian) and all is good a year later. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
LexBrett2 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 04:23 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by Ruff Cut
Good Day.....same problem. Yes, a malfunctioning wheel speed sensor can wreak havoc like you described. Changed for under $150.00 (Canadian) and all is good a year later. Good luck!
Hey thanks a bunch, I just received both front Sensor i replaced them but the problem persist. It usually happens right after the car reaches operating temperature.I plugged the Scanner in it but still dont get any errors whatsoever.
Old 10-27-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2007 cls550
What are the part numbers of what you replaced? Looking to validate something.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:06 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by 95viper
What are the part numbers of what you replaced? Looking to validate something.
Sorry about the late reply i just got back into town the part number that i replaced was (A 211 540 29 17)
i replaced both front passenger and driver side.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2007 cls550
I am thinking a relay or ground issue but just guessing. I think you might be at a point of needing the shop to analyze it. You have ruled out a ton of things.
Old 11-12-2018, 02:13 PM

CLS550
Originally Posted by 95viper
I am thinking a relay or ground issue but just guessing. I think you might be at a point of needing the shop to analyze it. You have ruled out a ton of things.
I’m thinking you have hit the nail on the head with the relay observation, a friend came by yesterday and told me it could either be a vacuum leak or a relay, we used iCarsoft MB II on the vehicle prior to it going crazy and we had absolutely no codes. Then after it shuts everything off we couldn’t even establish communication with the ECU because it going into Safe-Mode (or so he is telling me), Also the battery drain issue i have points more towards a relay more so than a vacuum leak.