CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

'06 CLS500 Potential New Buyer - Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 10:42 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
Question '06 CLS500 Potential New Buyer - Help!

I am looking at a 2006 CLS500. Has approx. 75000miles and is super clean. I have a couple of questions.

I have researched and discovered a whole soap opera regarding the famous or infamous 722.9 7speed transmission, so the purchase price may have to come way down to deal with that potential can-of-worms. But I have another question.

I decoded the VIN and found this: "A29 J - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY VGS 1 (550 NM)". Can anyone shed any light on what this might be? Just based on the English description, it looks like the valve body in the transmission, however I've seen way too many weird German>English descriptions that wound up being completely unrelated to what the thing really was.

Any and all help, warnings, suggestions, ideas and especial humor, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-10-2019, 01:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 500
Dont walk away...run

The old rim is used as a safety. It had a crack that was welded. Now i know why it cracked...from the car dropping on it.
Originally Posted by PhoenixOp
I am looking at a 2006 CLS500. Has approx. 75000miles and is super clean. I have a couple of questions.

I have researched and discovered a whole soap opera regarding the famous or infamous 722.9 7speed transmission, so the purchase price may have to come way down to deal with that potential can-of-worms. But I have another question.

I decoded the VIN and found this: "A29 J - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY VGS 1 (550 NM)". Can anyone shed any light on what this might be? Just based on the English description, it looks like the valve body in the transmission, however I've seen way too many weird German>English descriptions that wound up being completely unrelated to what the thing really was.

Any and all help, warnings, suggestions, ideas and especial humor, greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Mike, I got a 2006 CLS500 2 WEEKS ago. It had 1 lug halfway holding the wheel on at a impound auction. Found out later all 4 remaining lug studs were broke off. After getting a new rim and tire I thought I was good to go. After 2 weeks and taking it to 115mph, I was exiting freeway when suddenly I thought I had a blowout on the new tire. Before I got pulled over to the shoulder it dropped and made a racket. I saw the new wheel off the hub. All 5 lug bolts were sheared off. What a dangerous design to have the studs not part of the hub. How many people have died from this? The forums are full of stories and pics. Here's mine.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,417 Likes on 3,146 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by PhoenixOp
"A29 J - VALVE BODY ASSEMBLY VGS 1 (550 NM)". Can anyone shed any light on what this might be? Just based on the English description, it looks like the valve body in the transmission
Correct valve body inside transmission.
Old 05-11-2019, 08:21 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz SL500
A friend of mine is the lead tech at the local Mercedes dealer and he told me that if you're going to buy anything with a 722.9 transmission, be sure it's VGS 2 or newer or service records covering a replacement of the original valve body. That seems to be the one that isn't going to randomly self-destruct.

Apparently, Mercedes quietly changed the valve body after dealing with all the complaints from the original (VGS 1). So, am looking at late '07 thru the end of the production run. I have also (upgraded?) my search to CLS63 AMG's.

If you look at my signature, you'll realize I need treatment. I have a German car problem....