CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

My Experience changing oil on 722.9 transmission

Old 04-01-2019, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
My Experience changing oil on 722.9 transmission

Hi All,
I changed my oil and filter on my 722.9 transmission (2006 CLS500), and just thought I would share my experience.

Overview: There are six aluminum bolts on the pan that need to be removed, and the pan will drop. About 4 quarts of oil comes out of the pan. Just pull off old filter and press on new one, and clean the pan thoroughly. Put on new gasket and torque bolts to between 6 and 7 ft lbs using blue locktight. Use special pump to get oil back in and "level" the oil when transmission temperature reaches exactly 45 C.

Here is a the video I used as a guideline:https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8&&FORM=VRDGAR

This is the kit I bought from ECS tuning:https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...2212770195kt2/

The special tool to pump fluid into sealed transmission: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../007311sch01a/

Interesting Issues/Challenges.

1. Seafoam Transtune. I pumped into the transmission 16 ounces of Seafoam Transtune as a cleaning agent. Some of you probably will think this is not a good idea, but I have had amazing results with this product. My previous car was a Mercedes w203 1.8L sport sedan, and it had transmission problems with hard shifts. When I put in the Seafoam Transtune, the problem instantly went away and the problem was fixed. From my understanding of how the product works, the agent cleaned sticky valves in the valve body and allows for the transmission to operate freely.

2. Changed the Oil. Twice. Since draining through the pan only gets about half the transmission capacity (4 qts), I figured I would do it twice since I had the extra oil in the kit. I also wanted to "practice" using the oil fill tool as well as the technique for leveling the fluid in the pan. Also, it seemed like a good idea to get as much of the Seafoam Transtune out of the oil. As such, draining 2 times would give about 75% new fluid mixed with 25% old, as opposed to 50/50 just changing once.

3. Torque on Bolts. I read on several webpages that the proper torque on the bolts is between 8 and 9 ft lbs. This information must have been incorrect. I broke two bolts at less than 8 ft lbs. The correct torque seems to be 6 ft lbs, of course using generous amounts of blue locktight. Removing the bolts was easy, suggesting to me the low torque spec not to mention that the oil on my vehicle had probably been changed before.

4. The Tool is Cool. The pump from ECS tuning worked great, and it was a pleasure to use. I was initially nervous about getting the oil back in the pan, but it was no problem. Also, measuring the temp at 45C to level the oil using my diagnostic tool was straightforward (see video).

5. Performance. The car shifts faster and quicker now. It was a worthwhile project, although time consuming and messy.

Please feel free to comment. Have a great day!

Last edited by LexBrett2; 04-01-2019 at 10:54 AM.