CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Wacky Headlamps

Old 07-10-2004, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 SL600, 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Wacky Headlamps

I don't care much for the headlamps on the CLS. They aren't quite as goofy as the new BMW 5-series, but almost. I hope the CLS headlamps don't find their way onto the next S.

The only company that seems to be doing headlamps right these days is Audi.

Having said this, I still love the headlamp design of the SL.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JackStraw
I don't care much for the headlamps on the CLS. They aren't quite as goofy as the new BMW 5-series, but almost. I hope the CLS headlamps don't find their way onto the next S.

The only company that seems to be doing headlamps right these days is Audi.

Having said this, I still love the headlamp design of the SL.

I think you are showing your affections for an old design. It doesnt matter what shape they are, its part of a whole package, which is like saying that someones hands are ugly and that is bad in some way.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:01 PM

I realize that I should haved added the caveat that this is just my opinion, but I thought that was pretty evident. I apologize to the purists among you.

To use your metaphor that a criticism of the headlamps is akin to critcizing the hand and ignoring the beauty of the whole organism, I would disagree. To me the headlamps are an important part of the "face", and I think that it is hard to argue that the face, or front end the car, plays a disproportionate role in defining the appearance of the vehicle. I would argue that the wheels are more like "hands", and wheels can be swapped out with very little effort. Headlamps, being integral to the face, cannot.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JackStraw
I realize that I should haved added the caveat that this is just my opinion, but I thought that was pretty evident. I apologize to the purists among you.

To use your metaphor that a criticism of the headlamps is akin to critcizing the hand and ignoring the beauty of the whole organism, I would disagree. To me the headlamps are an important part of the "face", and I think that it is hard to argue that the face, or front end the car, plays a disproportionate role in defining the appearance of the vehicle. I would argue that the wheels are more like "hands", and wheels can be swapped out with very little effort. Headlamps, being integral to the face, cannot.
I see you are a master of Bolony-101 from the College of Advanced None-such. I simply said that you are living in the past.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:16 PM

That may be, but at least I know how to spell.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,171 Likes on 1,977 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
I am not a 100% sold on the CLS headlight design but like them because the are different from the majority of MB front facias. It works with the whole package.

Personally, the Audi's are understating to the point of being boring. I test drove an A8 and even found my wide rebelling as she thought that there wasn't a single classic line (or some elegance) in the whole car. Mercedes body styles (and headlight design) have moved from a very boxy '70's/'80's design (like the W126) to very soft styled elegant lines that I believe age very gracefully. BMW probably tried the same thing but chose the wrong designer.

Wolfman