M272 advanced camshaft timing.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL320 CLS350 C250
M272 advanced camshaft timing.

Hi Guys first post and hoping for some help
I have a 2007 CLS350, I have just fitted a used engine as the old one had been fixed by experts and seized in the cam tunnels.
The issue I now have is the engine is throwing codes P0016 P0017 which are both camshaft/crankshaft position errors. Now most posts suggest these these code indicate a balance shaft and chain issues.
I have checked the position of the camshafts at the 320D crank position and they are both advanced which is throwing me a curve ball, if it was a worn chain or balance shaft then the cams would be retarded not advanced. This is also confirmed by watching the live data, which indicates the ecu is attempting to retard the camshafts, gets to 21d and errors.
Looking at the distance involved I would say they are out by one full tooth both sides, the engine has been apart.
Has anyone seen advanced camshaft timing on this engine before?
Any comment appreciated.
Old 09-07-2021, 06:52 AM

GL320 CLS350 C250
typo 305D
Old 03-24-2022, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 2008 MBC300 LUXURY
Lightbulb Need not be balance shaft every time on M272

Originally Posted by ptaplin
Hi Guys first post and hoping for some help
I have a 2007 CLS350, I have just fitted a used engine as the old one had been fixed by experts and seized in the cam tunnels.
The issue I now have is the engine is throwing codes P0016 P0017 which are both camshaft/crankshaft position errors. Now most posts suggest these these code indicate a balance shaft and chain issues.
I have checked the position of the camshafts at the 320D crank position and they are both advanced which is throwing me a curve ball, if it was a worn chain or balance shaft then the cams would be retarded not advanced. This is also confirmed by watching the live data, which indicates the ecu is attempting to retard the camshafts, gets to 21d and errors.
Looking at the distance involved I would say they are out by one full tooth both sides, the engine has been apart.
Has anyone seen advanced camshaft timing on this engine before?
Any comment appreciated.
@ptaplin , I do have very similar problem to yours, at about the same time too. I am now at a better place (although not resolved yet), I wonder have you been able to resolve your issue. And if so, what were really the problem?

For my car, after magnet, sensor and wiring replaced on exhaust side of bank 1, P0017 do not show up anymore. Better yet, CEL turn off by itself even though 1208 is a stored code. If I was right with exhaust side; on intake side, I am going to replace the last piece which is the wiring harness. If that won’t eliminate the problem for good, I am going to repeat the whole thing on the driver side. That’s it. If your car don’t have any other symptoms, there is no reason to believe that it’s the BS every time.

Old 03-24-2022, 08:46 AM

GL320 CLS350 C250
Balance shaft issues

Originally Posted by pete diegan
@ptaplin , I do have very similar problem to yours, at about the same time too. I am now at a better place (although not resolved yet), I wonder have you been able to resolve your issue. And if so, what were really the problem?

For my car, after magnet, sensor and wiring replaced on exhaust side of bank 1, P0017 do not show up anymore. Better yet, CEL turn off by itself even though 1208 is a stored code. If I was right with exhaust side; on intake side, I am going to replace the last piece which is the wiring harness. If that won’t eliminate the problem for good, I am going to repeat the whole thing on the driver side. That’s it. If your car don’t have any other symptoms, there is no reason to believe that it’s the BS every time.
Yes I have resolved the issue, pulled the engine out and replaced the cam chains, balance shaft etc retimed it and refitted the engine, full adaptation reset and the engine light is gone. It looked like mine had been apart and put back together incorrectly.
Retuned the ECU after the engine had been run for while, car pulls strongly now and increased the power by 23bhp and 44nm at 2450.. economy is better at about 6L per 100k .. I found the looms to be ok on mine.
One other thing I removed all the flaps from the intake and turned off the codes in the ecu so that about it now.. good luck with your car hope you get it all resolved Cheers Peter
Old 03-24-2022, 08:59 AM

W204 2008 MBC300 LUXURY
@ptaplin , great to hear from you. So you ended up with BS? Was it worn or you replaced simply because you are already there? What happened to timing chain and chain tensioner?

As for ECU tuned, I use something very simple (Pedal Commander), and now I get 135 lb-ft (or 183 nm) between 1000-2000 rpm. Is that what you are getting too? For gas mileage, not sure how big is your engine, but my 3.0L engine still get 20.5 mpg in city driving which is not much different from day one when the car was new!
Old 05-06-2022, 08:58 AM

W204 2008 MBC300 LUXURY
Question

Originally Posted by ptaplin
Yes I have resolved the issue, pulled the engine out and replaced the cam chains, balance shaft etc retimed it and refitted the engine, full adaptation reset and the engine light is gone. It looked like mine had been apart and put back together incorrectly.
Retuned the ECU after the engine had been run for while, car pulls strongly now and increased the power by 23bhp and 44nm at 2450.. economy is better at about 6L per 100k .. I found the looms to be ok on mine.
One other thing I removed all the flaps from the intake and turned off the codes in the ecu so that about it now.. good luck with your car hope you get it all resolved Cheers Peter
@ptaplin , how did you “tune the ECU”? What tool, scanner, vendor were needed or did you have a shop do it for you?