M272 Engine won't start after rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS350
M272 Engine won't start after rebuild

Hi
So we got the p0017 and p0016 code which is the balance shaft replacement which we did, we then put the engine back together and then found out that we then also had a misfire on cylinder 5 which we then decide to pull the engine again, we then decided to do a rebuild and clean the engine and reseat all the valves and change valve stem seals and hydraulic lifters. Now the engine is back in the car and now it won't start, its almost like the starter is not strong enough to turn the the engine, the starter clicks and you can hear the starter gear hit the fly wheel gear and then it stops. So im not sure on what to do now could it be a faulty starter or are we missing something else, we bought a new battery like 4 months ago and have it charged again. has anyone experienced this problem before?
Old 02-23-2022, 08:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 CLS550
I would bar the engine over to make sure it is not mechanical interference. I once had a professionally rebuilt engine returned with the camshaft installed 180 degrees out. Thankfully I caught it before I tried to install it.
Then I would check the connections to the starter. I once had the problem you describe and it turned out it was a poor positive connection. It would give continuity with a multimeter but couldn't get enough juice to start up. A cleaning of the connections solved the problem.

Good Luck!