DIY replace washer pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 06:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS 350 CGI
DIY replace washer pump

Hi everyone,

Heres is a small procedure on how to change your windshield washer pump, but before that I will like to recommend testing your current washer pump. I took it out of the car and directly connected to a 12V battery (didn't make pics of this), the pump was 100% dead, not even a small noise from it, so time to replace it.

Let's go: the washer pump is located behind the right front wheel, so first of all we need to jack the car and take out the right front wheel.

Once the wheel is off, we will find this:

We need to take off the 5 screws markes in red (the one with the arrow is located around there, brake disk is blocking it in the picture) and "unplug" those clip retainers marked in yellow

Still not ready to take it out, second part:

We need to continue at the bottom. Both screws marked in yellor must be unscrew. At this moment the fender is free to come out, but I would highly recommend to unscrew another piece (blue arrow) through its own screw (blue circle). Doing this way, it will be much easier to put the fender back, and to take out right now.

After moving here and there, the fender will be out of the car and you will see this:

First we need to release the conector (blue arrow). The pump is retained with a plastic on top, avoiding to move up. Both green arrows mark where this piece is clipped and needs to be released.

Once you have the conector, and the plastic piece out. Is time to search for a round tool that will block the hole where the pump is inserted. When you have that tool ready to block, you just can pull out the pump upside, like the black arrow shows.

In the next picture you will see which tool I used. Any might work as far as is rounded and has the same diameter. The orange circle shows the pipe where the pump sends water to the hood, expect some water to come out when you change from the old pump to the new one (no huge drops)

And last, the washer pump I used from Hella. Any compatible will do the work. This one costs less than $15.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!