CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Chasing a suspension gremlin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2022, 04:30 PM

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2007 cls550
Strange. I couldn’t replicate the grease trick as my Arnott strut didn’t seem to be the same. Not sure what to think but I sent it back and they replaced. It had been perfect since on driver side and passenger side was replaced a year ago and it has been good.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:28 PM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Looking to buy a CLS55/63
Originally Posted by 95viper
Strange. I couldn’t replicate the grease trick as my Arnott strut didn’t seem to be the same. Not sure what to think but I sent it back and they replaced. It had been perfect since on driver side and passenger side was replaced a year ago and it has been good.
I'm almost starting to wonder if it could be my bearings/hubs slightly loose. Watch this a video and it kind of could be my issue..🤔
Old 11-22-2022, 10:38 PM

Don't know if you can hear it. It's very subtle as I hit the speed bump and the suspension unloads.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 95viper
You didn’t try that possible fix above to slide up the sleeve and grease it?
I wound up returning the RMT starts as they sound like a lowered Honda. They don't rebuild the struts at all only the air portion. So it's the equivalent of putting a new spring on a 300,000 mile blown out strut. 🙄
I did the grease trick to my original Arnotts and it quieted them down. However they still sound like crap over bumps. I'm at a loss for chasing this noise in the suspension. My next option is to spend $2000 on Bilstein struts to see if it fixes the issue..🙄
Old 05-21-2023, 12:34 PM

After months of being annoyed with a weird suspension noise and replacing basically the entire front suspension except for the sway bars and upper control arms.I replaced struts, lower front and rear control arms, every ball joint, sway bars endlinks, steering rack bushings,inner and outer tie rods and new Bilstein struts. Thank God I do all my own labor and the parts aren't terrible expensive except the struts, which I needed anyway.
I finally think I found the culprit of my noise...It seems like it's either the actual rack, the column or most likely the steering coupler. I just ordered the coupler since it's the cheapest part and it feels like there is play in it. The one weird thing is once the car is running and the rack is pressurized I don't hear it from the steering wheel test. I guess I'll do the coupler first and see from there. The car was in a minor accident many years ago according to the Carfax.
https://youtube.com/shorts/pIw1-ZfhWAQ?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/IBAwJuNhL7k?feature=share