CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

2011 cls550

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 Mercedes c230
2011 cls550

About a month ago I picked up a 2011 cls550 and it drove very we’ll untill i started getting a vibration (not so much a shaking, but a steady humming vibration) at idle, particularly when in drive. sometimes in park it doesn't do it at all, sometimes it does. making this hard to diagnose.

As I said, it is nothing crazy, and you can't hear much from outside the vehicle. But inside while seated, it can feel pretty strong.

Whether it happens in park or not, it seems to change it's tone/frequency when shifting into Drive. Therefore I can assume it's related to the transmission or drivetrain linkage.

Just checking if this is common, and what the first things to check would be.

It seems to go away when driving at any speed, and is only noticeable at idle at stop lights or in park/etc.

thanks!!!

Sombody else had this problem but thread not updated, I am trying to see if it is soldering my warranty can cover which motor mounts are not included which I’m guessing it is, plss help.
Old 04-02-2024, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CLS550
That was my thread and text you pasted. lol.

I never ended up changing motor mounts, because they are not cracked/leaking or damaged at all, and after another 10k miles of driving I have come to the conclusion that it is transmission/torque converter related. I will get shudder/vibration at times within the range of 1700-2200 rpms, with some variation, depending on acceleration or deceleration/ velocity, etc.

I am fairly confident it is either the transmission or the torque converter itself, and I plan to have the transmission flushed with filter change in the next few weeks, to see if that at least alleviates the problem. if it does, I will then most likely perform another transmission fluid change after a short time and hope that it starts to eliminate the issue altogether. At least, that is the plan.

I believe Mercedes claims the transmission fluid should last the life of the vehicle, but we all know that is BS.

Yours may end up being a different diagnosis however.
Old 04-02-2024, 02:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 CLS550
Check for motor/ transmission mounts, or obvious things like air filters/ignition (could be misfiring, but since your issue sounds almost identical to mine - probably not that)

My guess is whatever used car warranty you have probably won't cover anything that isn't a catastrophic failure that is blatantly tied to the drivetrain. If you are paying for an extended warranty, it would depend on the policy. Problem is isolating the issue first.

I know that this generation platform also sometimes had issues with driveshafts getting out of balance/alignment. I do not believe that would be the issue here, as it wouldn't happen at certain rpms then, it would just happen anytime the shaft is spinning power through to the rear diff, but that's another idea.

That's all of my two cents i can offer on the matter, until I get in for a tranny flush and I can let you know the results of that when it's done.