CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

True Confession: my wife made me do it!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
True Confession: my wife made me do it!

I was one of those guys who got excited about the CLS when I first saw the spy shots. Finally Mercedes was going to build something sexy to compete with Jaguar, but of course with superior engineering. I first saw the car in person in May of last year and my impressions were not good- the restricted visibility of the design bothered me, but I still placed an order for a CLS55 because I appreciated the overall look of the car. Over time, I even grew tired of this.

I drove the car for the first time last October in Sindelfingen and again was not impressed- pretty much an E Class with less room and visibility. The more I saw the car, the more I tired of the swoopy lines. I started seeing too much Lexus in the design and less German practicality.

When the launch edition arrived at my dealer last week, I still was one of the first to go see it and I concluded that this was not the car for me. I cancelled my order for a CLS55 (which has already been built and will arrive in 30 days in Everest Green). On Friday, I stopped by my dealer to drop something off, my wife wandered in with me and checked out the launch edition CLS 500 on the showfloor. A half hour later, I noticed she was still sitting in this car, so I went over and asked her what was up. She told me she loved this car and wanted to buy it. We took a test drive and she literally drove the car six blocks and pulled over and announced that I was buying her this car.

I have to eat all the negative things I may have said here on this forum- about the look of the car, the reduced visibility and the matte finished wood- because the launch edition CLS 500 is in my garage.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:31 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts
Congratulations, it's a stunning looking car.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:01 PM

It's in my garage too

Couldn't be happier...the matte oak wood is really fine and the color unique. Handles great...good acceleration, smooth but tight in the curves.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:25 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Additional items

I am adding navigation and satellite radio and picking it up tomorrow. Do you have any other options besides the lauch package or are they all the same?
Old 02-02-2005, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Keeping mama happy is by far a wise decision on your part no matter what car you bought....